Chapter 8

Y/N's POV:
The first 3 days in paris were perfection. I spent each morning hunting down the best patisseries in the heart of the city, sourcing the group's breakfast from a different café each morning. The warm sun made walking the rows of tall, ornamental buildings one of my favourite pastimes on days off.
Kris and I had both taken French classes together in school. Although neither of us had been very good or kept up with it for longer than we had to do it wasn't much help.

It was on the fourth night of our stay in Paris that it happened. When Jimmy announced to the group that he had, in fact, rented out the entire eiffel tower for one night it felt like I was the only one who didn't want to go to the top.
I quietly told Jimmy about my fear of heights and he suggested that I stay on the ground to take some long distance shots of the group climbing the tower.

The streets around the eiffel tower were pretty quiet that night, mostly littered with drunk people stumbling down steps to get into the Metro.
I took some different shots of the tower, starting close up near to the base and then moving further away.
I didn't see the guys that did it. They were both taller than me and wearing hoodies that covered their faces, not that they needed them in the shadowy alleyway I had found myself in.

I tried hard to scream as the first guy put his hand over my mouth, grasping my arm in a way that I knew would leave a dark bruise. I kicked him as the other man ripped the bag holding my camera off from around my neck. The men exchanged words in French, I felt the air leave my lungs as I was punched in the stomach before the shrouded figures took off down the alley.

I'm not proud of how I handled myself after the men fled. I wish I could say that I chased after them and got the camera back. Actually, I just fell to the ground letting the paralysing shock wash over me.
I can't remember how long it took for me to snap out of it. When I did, the shock was replaced with adrenaline.
All I could think about as I dragged myself onto my feet and rushed out of the alleyway was the camera I had lost. Jimmy's camera. Oh god, that thing cost like $3,000!

My pace quickened as I struggled to navigate the dark streets, I kept my eyes fixed on the warm glow of the eiffel tower, using it as a guide to get back to the group. I definitely made a few wrong turns and somehow I'd managed to sprain my ankle. I tried to figure out how I would explain this to Jimmy.
He was definitely going to fire me; he pays for me to go on this amazing trip around the world and how do I repay him? By losing his expensive camera.

I finally turned a corner to see the group, still at the base of the eiffel tower. Most of them were talking amongst themselves and I saw Jimmy at the edge of the group looking down at his phone and chewing the nail of his thumb.
I felt the relief wash over me. I sped up to reunite with the group and felt the adrenaline that had been fuelling me melt away, leaving me with fear, exhaustion and a headache.