Chapter 14

Suddenly the reason she'd left LA was standing in front of her. Her stomach dropped as the memory of seeing the man she'd dated for 8 months with his tongue down the throat of another girl flooded back to her.
"Wow, you look... hot!" he said loudly, making the heads of people around them turn to look. Y/N could smell the liquor on his breath and shifted uncomfortably as his eyes combed over her body, drinking in her figure.

"I thought you left LA? To Canada or something?"
"North Carolina," she responded quickly, "and yeah. But I came back."
She felt insecurity bubble in her stomach as Ben continued to look everywhere on her body except for her eyes.
"Well cool..." She could see the gears turning in his brain as he spoke again. "Maybe we should hang out again."
She let out a scoff, "No thanks." which seemed to offend him quite a lot.
"Oh come on," Ben stepped closer, "you're back and we're both single..." he tried to croon romantically as he reached to tuck her hair behind her ear.
"Stop it, Ben. I'm not here to see you again."
"Then why are you here?" he asked indignantly.

Y/N was trying to think of something to say to Ben when she noticed that his eyes had shifted from her chest to the hallway behind her, his mouth agape.
Puzzled, she turned to see what he was looking at, only to see Jimmy.

He stood in the doorway behind her, leaning against the wall with his best poker face although Y/N could see traces of desperation in his eyes. She could feel the same emotions crossing her face as they shared a wordless look.
"Hi Jimmy," was all she could let out in a breathless voice before Ben interrupted.
"Yooo Mr. Beast!" he exclaimed, brushing past Y/N's shoulder as he approached him. At this, Jimmy's eyes tore away from Y/N and his expression darkened as he looked Ben up and down.
Where most people had made an effort to dress up for the party, Jimmy was wearing his usual basketball shorts and sweater. Y/N had to hide her smirk as he looked at Ben, who was taking out his phone for a picture, with a face of neutral disgust.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.
"I like parties."
"No, I mean, Why are you in LA?"
His blue eyes shone underneath the crystal chandelier in the kitchen. He didn't have to say anything, just offer a weak smile, for Y/N to know he was there for her.

He stepped toward the kitchen island where she was standing, leaving Ben in the doorway with his jaw still hung open.
"Y/N, you know Mr. Beast?" he asked raising his eyebrows in surprise.
"Uhm, Jimmy this is Ben," She introduced awkwardly before downing another flute of champagne. Jimmy watched her; he had never seen her drink that much before, already on her second glass in ten minutes.
"Are you okay?" he asked softly, ducking his head to reach her eye level in a familiar motion.

"Oh I see," Ben interrupted, his expression quickly turning sour as he read the scene in front of him. "You moved on from me pretty quickly then."
"What?" Y/N turned sharply, growing irritated at Ben's presence, "You're one to talk! I left you because you were cheating on me!"
She tried to ignore the tears that sprang to her eyes as a product of her anger. She felt the warm pressure of Jimmy's hand as his arm snaked around her waist protectively. Ben's eyes flickered to the movement and he began to seethe.

"She's only fucking you because you're rich you know," He turned to Jimmy whose eyes grew colder with every minute, "th slut's gonna leave you as soon she finds someone w' more money." He finished, his speech slurring more and more with each word.
Y/N fled from the kitchen, past Ben and down the hallway into an empty bedroom. She never saw what happened but she heard the commotion; a thump, some different voices shouting and the sound of Ben whining, "You broke my fucking nose!"

She paced around the bedroom for a few seconds until Jimmy stuck his head through the door. He slipped inside and began to wring his right hand in pain. Y/N observed a redness over his knuckles that she guessed would later turn into bruises.
She turned away from him and chose to sit on the floor at the further side of the bed, giving her a view of the night sky from the bedroom window. She didn't look at Jimmy as he followed her to the same place, sitting beside her on the floor.

After a few minutes she spoke. "I'm sorry about him," she managed to croak.
"He's the one that's gonna be sorry," Jimmy said; his calm tone of voice contradicting the threatening statement.
"I can't believe you punched him in the face," she began to smirk. Jimmy chuckled rubbing his forehead with his non-bruised hand,
"You heard that, huh? It hurt my hand like hell" That made Y/N giggle as she turned her head back to face him.

"How's your collarbone?" she asked him softly.
"It's gotten better," he told her as he rubbed his shoulder absent-mindedly.
"How's Kris?"
"She's okay, she misses you... I miss you." he added the last words in a lower voice as if he didn't mean to say them out loud.
Y/N's gaze dropped to her knees as she blinked. Her eyes were bleary from the alcohol that ran through her veins and the tears that glistened in her eyelashes.
"I had to leave," she began in a brittle voice. "I just couldn't-" her words caught in her throat.

"I know."
She felt Jimmy shift closer so their arms were nearly touching. The exhaustion of everything that had happened that night weighed down on her like the heaviness she now found in her eyelids. Jimmy was just so... familiar.
Y/N felt like she could close her eyes and pretend that the last few months had never happened, that she had never run away.

Jimmy was still as she laid her head on his shoulder. For a moment Y/N worried he was frozen in discomfort, then he tilted his own head to rest on top of hers.
She faded in and out of consciousness after that moment as sleep began to overtake her. Although when the voice of the party crowd counted down into the new year, cheering once the clock ticked over to midnight, she felt Jimmy lift his head and place a soft kiss on her forehead before whispering;
"Happy new year, Y/N."