Chapter 99

Lee Know and the others collected the assets and transferred the money from the Seo bank accounts

Lee Know and the others collected the assets and transferred the money from the Seo bank accounts. I sat with Changbin wishing I could go home.

Whatever Jeongin had given me to get me to the infirmary had a side effect of keeping me fatigued for the entirety of the day. I couldn't even blink properly and my eyelids dropped slowly and reopened with a pop as I struggled to stay awake. I felt like a zombie.

And while I felt like one, Changbin looked like one. He'd stared straight ahead at the wall as if shifting his eyes left or right would be too much to handle. His eyes were glassy and red, and he held a strong tall posture like a statue.

Neither of us spoke as I was too exhausted, and he was too traumatized. I could hear where the others were down the hall. Their muffled chatter and light footsteps echoed throughout the hallway.

We sat there for hours staring at that wall until Lee Know finally came to take me home. I had offered to stay with Changbin, but he finally took his eyes off of the wall long enough to insist that I go home. I'd given him a hug, the first one that he hadn't reciprocated in the entirety of our friendship, before heading off with Lee Know.

I dragged my feet on the walk to the car and passed out in the passenger seat the moment the engine purred to life. When we got home, Lee Know woke me with a gentle shoulder nudge, and I blinked lazily as I opened my eyes to our home.

The cats were meowing in the backseat, so I knew Lee Know must have stopped by Chan's house to pick them up.

Chan's house...

It had been over a week since I'd left that letter. Over a week since Lee Know had asked me to marry him while we watched the stars. I wondered if he regretted it if he had only asked because he sensed that I was planning to leave.

I waited in the car while Lee Know brought the cats in. Despite what we had gone through today, Lee Know looked strong and sturdy. The smell of honey wafted off of the flannel that I had taken and was still wearing.

I wondered if he'd known I had stolen it or if he had assumed it just went missing. Lee Know returned to the car and opened the door for me.

I yawned as I stepped out and leaned against him, too tired to bear the weight of myself. He put his arm around my shoulder and we shuffled into the house. I threw off my shoes and immediately let myself be absorbed by the sofa and the many blankets that were on it.

Soonie hopped onto my chest and began purring contently. I pet the bridge of his nose the way that he liked.

Lee Know gave a small breathy laugh at my laziness before heading back to our room. I closed my eyes and nearly fell asleep again before Lee Know returned.

He had brought pajamas, and I raised my hands expecting him to help me.

"You need to shower first," he insisted. I groaned and dropped my head back down to the arm of the couch.