AZI Volume 6 Chapter 20.5 Intermission - Too Late to Be Feeling Regrets

XYXiangCL03: I managed to convince the key people in my colony to take part in the project.

SYanRe05: I see. Well, good luck then.

XYXiangCL03: ...Good luck? That's it? Don't you have a bit more to express?

SYanRe05: Such as?

XYXiangCL03: Shock? Surprise? Or maybe a sense of proudness in having your ideas be in the process of being realized?

SYanRe05: No such thing.

XYXiangCL03: A normal researcher would surely be quite proud of themselves right now.

SYanRe05: Maybe I'll be as well when everything is actually brought into reality?

XYXiangCL03: You'll be coming over to Colony Three for the soul gathering process, correct? Are there any preparations that I need to make for you?

SYanRe05: Transportation and the migration documents. Other than those two, a residence. 

XYXiangCL03: So just the basics then? I'd figure that there would be a need to...- I don't know? Set up a special magic array to ease the soul gathering process?

SYanRe05: No need. Contact me once everything is done. 

......

Dropping the conversation, Sui Yan holds her smoking pipe, and blows out a stream of smoke. 

*Shaaa...* beside her, the black serpent sticks its tongue out to taste the air. 

"...Ai."

Heaving a sigh, Sui Yan stares up at the ceiling with an absentminded expression on her face. 

(Has it really been 56 times now? It feels... Unreal like always.)

Thinking of this, Sui Yan taps her index finger against her desk. 

(History... Common sense says that History can only be held, and maintained by the star region itself. But... What if a person were to become a vessel capable of the same feat?)

Lowering her head, Sui Yan narrows her eyes, while fixing her glasses. 

(The lifespan of a mortal lifeform, it's far too insignificant when it is compared to a star region. In the end... Whether or not I am actually capable of holding Histories in the future, or in some other lifetime, the Histories themselves needs to be centered around myself. ...Un, for now, let's just focus on carving out a unique History in this life. If it doesn't pay off in the end...... I suppose it doesn't matter—since the goal of this journey is to survive, and to experiment.)

Raising a somewhat hopeful smile, Sui Yan begins to look forward to the future of this world that she will be spending her life in. 

(Hmm, there's not much for me to do until everything is sorted out in Colony Three... Until then, I need to find something to occupy myself with.)

Opening a web browser, Sui Yan heads over to the only literature publishing site in existence, Flowing Font.

In the past, there were a thousand sites of this nature on the internet of this star region.

However, the servers of those sites had been destroyed, along with the planet that they were on. 

"A name... Hmm."

Thinking for a brief instance, Sui Yan writes "the Walker of a Thousand Dreams" down as a username, and clicked the register button. 

"...Guess I'll write everything that I've experienced so far down."

......

The very next day, Colony Three begins the project.

"Hmm."

"Does this look right?"

"You missed a rune here."

Busy bodies occupied the hallway; held in these individuals' hands were specialized tools used to carve out magic arrays. 

Other than those who had been assigned to carve out the magic arrays—

"Coming through!"

"Slow down a bit..."

Several individuals rushed down the hallway—to perform their assigned tasks of delivering materials, or cleaning up an area that's already had the necessary magic array carved out. 

......

Outside of the colony—

[...Why did we get assigned to the outside?]

[Quit whining.]

Individuals—dressed in spacesuits with grappling hooks attached to their waists, are scattered throughout the colossal vessel. 

From a distance, it was similar to seeing an army of worker bees surrounding a massive hive. 

......

Turning to the main research center of the vessel—

"Hmm. Some of these components can be printed via 3D printers, but the vast majority will require active hands."

"Will 3D-printed components stand the test of time? And how easy, or risky would disassembly be—if we ever needed to perform maintenance?"

Researchers and artisans gathered—to review the blueprint for the core that they had been assigned to build. 

"Hmm. We only have one shot at this, I suggest we make it as perfect as it can be."

"Agreed."

"Very well then."

Focused on the realization of this colossal project, time passes within Colony Three.

Throughout this passage of time—during the meetings of colony leaders and their associates, questions would be raised regarding what Colony Three was doing by carving magic arrays onto the body of their vessel. 

Towards these questions, Xu Qingxiang answered honestly, causing many to believe that she may have gone insane. 

Ignoring the skeptical outlook that others had towards her gamble, Xu Qingxiang maintained the project's efforts. 

Eventually, a bit more than five years had gone by, and—

......

XYXiangCL03: I've made arrangements for your immigration. Transport will be there to pick you up in three days.

SYanRe05: Finally. 

XYXiangCL03: Asking you this is somewhat awkward, but... Have you thought of what would happen if this project fails? 

SYanRe05: Being shunned and cursed at is the least of my concerns, since I don't really have much of a reputation to lose to begin with. 

XYXiangCL03: ...You could end up being thrown overboard, and be left to drift among the stars until death.

SYanRe05: That's not any different than what we're all doing right now. 

XYXiangCL03: True... You mentioned that there's no guarantees for how much energy would be generated, is that still the case?

SYanRe05: Afraid so. Regardless, you and I are in the same boat now. The people of the other colonies think that you and I had gone insane; so, as the two who had started this project, we'll both be held accountable if it fails. 

XYXiangCL03: ...When you say it like that, it feels as if I've been conned onto a pirate ship. 

SYanRe05: It's too late to be feeling regrets at this point.