Chapter 1

Third person pov

"Demi. Remember, twenty shots. No less." Dan said from the side line.

"Got it, dad." She said before draining a few three's during warm ups. The game tonight was against a local team called the Hawks.

"Quit your yapping and warm up, Lovato." Coach Smith yelled as he glared at Dan, who raised his hands as if he were saying he was innocent. Demi turned away from her father and shot some more warm up three's. The game began as the commentators rattled off scores, jersey numbers, and last names.

Basket by number 23, Demi Lovato, who has a great shot out there tonight. The Sun's steal away the ball as they transition back to offense. The ball is swiftly moved up the court to Lovato as she dunks it into the goal. Lovato gets again, scoring with a turn around jumper. We haven't seen talent like this since Dan played for Coach Smith years ago. Lovato gets it again for another beatiful three, nothing but net. The crowd is going crazy.

------

"Here she is, ladies and gentlemen, (Y/n) Lovato." A kid announced from the wooden picnic bench located on the edge of the black top court. (Y/n) showed up to the concrete park court wearing a gray Keith's Auto Repair hoodie, black basketball shorts, and an old pair of tennis shoes. She started to warm up for the two on two game with her friends. Each shot, no matter where it was taken, was nothing but net. The pickup game began and (Y/n) made every shot she took as her and her friend were up by twenty.

-----

"What are you doing!? You girls are stinking up the place!" Smith yelled and called for a time out.

"Coach, relax. We're up by nine." Demi stated.

"Lovato, on the bench." He walked over to the bench and stood in front a teammate, "Go in for Lovato."

Demi angrily walked and sat at the bench, and put on her warm up jacket. Coach Smith walked over to her.

"What have I told you about that? I don't care whether we are up by five or fifty. It's my team."

"Whatever you need to believe." Demi muttered.

The shot goes up but the Hawks take it away and sprint down the court, dunking it with no one around to defend. Everyone is wondering, where is Demi Lovato?

"Go in." Coach Smith grumbled as the Suns began losing the lead without Demi in. Demi smirked before walking to the baseline to throw the ball in. The cheerleaders, Dinah, Lauren, Camila, and Normani, were standing on the baseline where the ball was to be put into play as Demi took it from the referee.

"You look hot in that uniform." Lauren commented to Demi, who smiled before passing the ball in and starting a play.

Twenty seconds to go and it's all tied up. The Hawks are handling the ball, attempting to run down the clock and getting a shot off at the last second. A pass is reversed before being stolen by Lovato! The Suns have the ball and are going hold it and shoot for the win. Ten seconds remaining as the ball in being reversed, looking for Lovato for the last shot. Five seconds and the ball is passed to Lovato. The buzzer goes off and the corner three goes in! The Sun's win!

------

"(Y/n) to shoot the last shot of this game...it's in!" The "announcer" yells from the picnic bench. (Y/n) wipes the sweat off her face before walking around and hugging her friends and telling them good game. (Y/n) talked with her friends before waving them goodbye and putting her head phones in and her hood up. She walked down the streets back to her house while dribbling her ball and working on her ball handling.

She crossed a street and looked up just as a car was slamming on its brakes. She looked into the black, classic, muscle car to see Lauren behind the wheel. They stared at each other for a few minutes before (Y/n) slowly started to walk away from the car and to the other side of the street. Lauren slowly started to accelerate away and down the streets.

(Y/n) made her way to the small coffee shop downtown her mother was likely to be. Her mom owned and worked at a local coffee shop, Karen's Café. She walked in to find her mom finishing cleaning up the small café as (Y/n)'s best friend, Ally, sat at a table she just finished wiping.

"Hey, mom. Sup, sunshine." She greeted as she walked through the door. "Smells good. Did you change your hair." She asked her mom.

"If by changed, you mean ran a brush through it? Then yes." She laughed before walking to the back of the shop.

"Ally, whatcha reading?" She asked and walked over to the table.

"Oh, just a magazine. Have you read this? It's good."

"Oh the 'Why do I hang out with you' edition. You're on the cover of that right?"

"No, actually, it's the 'My best friend is an idiot' issue. Oh, look, and there you are."

"We found something for you." Karen said before sitting down next to us.

"Actually, I found it and I think you will love it." Ally said as she pulled out an old, tattered copy of Julius Caesar.

"Thanks. I really like it." (Y/n) said as she ran her fingers along the edges and flipped through the pages.

__________

The next night, Keith, (Y/n)'s unlce, took Coach Smith to see (Y/n) play in a pickup game on the blacktop. Keith and Coach Smith sat in a car parked across from the playground court to camp out and watch (Y/n) play.

"She's good. She needs to know she is good though. You have to let her onto the team to let her know that her talent shouldn't be wasted on a pathetic blacktop court playing two on two's." Keith tried to convince the coach. "You can't let talent like that slip away."

The coach sighed as he rubbed his wrinkly, old chin. The two men sat and watched the rest of the pick up game in silence, just peacefully watching (Y/n) as if she were a ballet dancer.

A/N Do y'all like it so far? I just wanted to shed some light on the different lifestyles and the characters.