Chaper 23

Lauren's pov

I walked into the locker room to get to Smith's office, but everyone on the basketball team only had towels on from showering, or were in the process of showering. I kept my gaze low and walked faster as I passed Demi and (Y/n). I speed walked through the locker room and opened Smith's door.

"Hi." I said as I entered, and he stood up to meet me halfway.

"Well, you never know who you're gonna see in the locker room these days." He said as he held a cigar in his hand.

"Or what you'll see. I thought maybe you could talk... unless you are too busy."

"Yeah sure. We can talk." He said and we walked out the school. The walk was silent, until we were crossing a small, nearby, bridge.

"My wife wouldn't let me smoke in the house, so I got in the habit of coming up here to this bridge." He told me. "I'd offer you one, but I know you're trying to cut down." He joked.

"How long have you been coaching?" I asked him.

"Too long."

"Do you ever wonder about it?"

"What?" He asked.

"You spent your whole life watching boys and girls play a game." I responded as he chuckled.

"Well, I'd prefer to think that I was teaching them to play. Yeah, sometimes I think about the conversations that went unfinished between me and my wife, holidays I missed because I was off coaching somewhere. That's when I come the closest to thinking it was a mistake."

"Do you miss her?"

"Everyday. Lauren, it's hard to lose somebody. I spent a lot of time searching for reasons, for answers, but you can't find what's not there. It just happens." He said as I nodded, before trying to change the subject.

"So, you gonna light that thing or what?"

"No. I used to love cigars, but I haven't smoked one since I lost my wife. I don't even carry matches anymore. I don't guess I've been much help to you, but I do know one thing. Your mother is proud of you. Take care of yourself." He patted my shoulder before walking back towards the school.

----------

(Y/n)'s pov

I walked into the café, and found Ally sitting there.

"Hey." I spoke up.

"Hey." I walked more towards her as she kept talking. "I really don't want to be like this, (Y/n)."

"What's this?"

"This- us skirting around each other. We are friends! You know, when you wanted to join the team, I didn't understand it, and I told you that, but I supported you."

"I know."

"Then support me. When I'm tutoring someone, and they get it, and that light goes on, I feel good, I feel worthy. The same way you feel when you play basketball. Besides, haven't things gotten better for you? The team has left you alone, the hazing stopped?"

I nodded my head reluctantly.

"That's worth the risk for me. What's not worth the risk is us. We're friends, and that is important to me." She said.

"You're just tutoring her?"

"I am just tutoring her. That's it."

"Okay." I replied as we hugged.

---

Keith and I were playing down on the playground court. I scored again as Keith bent down, exhausted.

"I think I pulled a kidney." He said as he held his back.

"You okay?" I asked as we sat down on the picnic table.

"Yeah." He groaned as he plopped down. "So, uh, you decide on the name thing yet?" He asked, referring to me wanting to change my last name.

"I downloaded the forms. Mom's still got to sign off on them."

"Mind if I tell you what I think?"

"I think you just did."

"I know I'm not your father, and I'd never try to tell you what to do, but I just wish you'd think about it."

"I will. And you know you don't have to play if you don't want to." I told him.

"Why would you say that?"

"I don't want to put you in a weird spot. Dan and Demi are your family, too, right?"

"As far as I'm concerned, you and your mom are my family, as long as you'll have me. Dan and I, we never seen eye to eye, even as kids. Demi... she's practically a stranger. Besides, I was honered you asked me to play."

"Good, I was hoping you'd say that." I said. "I'm gonna take off." I got up and hugged him. "See you later."

I walked down the streets, dribbling my ball, until I reached the bridge. I saw Lauren leaning against one of the cross beams with her sketch pad out.

"Hey." I said as she nodded her head, but continued to draw. "I've been thinking about you."

"Try a cold shower." She retorted immediately. I scoffed, and then laughed. She smiled as I laughed and closed her sketch pad. She looked at me, and giggled. "Sorry."

"You set yourself up for that one." She admitted as she moved off the cross beam. I held my hand out, and she took it as I laced our fingers together.

"Yeah, I guess so." I asked as we started to walk slowly across the bridge, hand in hand. "How you doin'?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes and sighed, before listing off things.

"Well, let's see. I broke up with my girlfriend, my mom's dead, and my dad's away on a job."

"What's your dad do?" I asked.

"He captains a drudging boat." She said as she looked down at our hands and then back up to me. "He's normally here for this fucked up week, but this year, he sent his sympathies in a text message."

I nodded and gently squeezed her hand, letting her know I was there for here. She looked down at our hands again, and I swear she blushed and grinned, before clearing her throat.

"I read your article. It made it sound like y'all are just one great, big, happy family." I stopped walking and moved closer to her when she stopped as well.

"Yeah, it's kind of ironic, huh?" I said as I moved a little closer. "You know, I would gladly erase my dad if it could bring back your mom."

Her breath hitched at my words as she moved closer to me, and our bodies were touching. Her arms wrapped themselves around my neck as mine went around her waist.

"I wish I could change it for you." I whispered, due to our close proximity. She bit her lip as my face moved closer. So close, that even the slightest move from either of us, our lips would touch. Her eyes fluttered closed as I stopped moving when our lips brushed together, waiting for her to seal them. Her fingers gripped the back of my neck as she connected our lips. Sparks would be a massive understatement of what I felt in that moment. Neither of us deepened the kiss, but we pulled away when air was necessary.

"Thank you." She whispered as she kissed me again, briefly. "I gotta go."

She pulled away from me completely and started walking, smiling from ear to ear.

"Wait, Lauren-" I tried to stop her, but she turned around and slowly back peddled.

"Shhh. Don't ruin it, okay?" She said as she was smiling wide. I smiled at her and she turned around to walk normally as I stood in the same place, recovering from the amazing kiss.

A/N Was it worth the wait? ;) (the correct answer is 'yes'; 'no' isn't an option)