"I'm not going to be the Rose to your Jack."

A couple days later, Amy woke me up dressed in a tracksuit and with a megaphone in hand. She didn't budge and was adamant that I start training today. She was right, I did want to be able to control my powers and get revenge for my parents. My only problem was that she woke me up so early. She dragged my ass out of bed, pulled me into the kitchen, and forced a "protein shake" down my throat, which I promptly puked out. She told me that it was only the second worst thing I'd have to experience today. I dreaded that statement and only realized what she meant when she brought me to the roof.

"No." I spoke first.

"No? What do you mean no?" She exclaimed.

"I mean, no. You brought me up here to teach me how to fly and I'm not going to be the Rose to your Jack." I looked her dead in the eyes.

"You are the embodiment of Air. You're telling me you don't want to learn to fly?"

"The last time I "flew" was a traumatic experience for me."

"How?"

I sighed. "I was running from bullies at my new school, and I got really emotional and just started flying. The next thing I knew I woke up in front of your house. "

Amy walked over to me and hugged me. "Yes, I know. I'm a hugger."

"I'm going to have to  get used to this, aren't I?"

"Yes. Yes, you are."

--

Later that day, Amy told me how she overcame her fear of swimming. She sat me down on the sofa and took a deep breath before speaking.

"When I was 16, my best friend, Clarissa, died. We went on a weekend beach trip and we got caught in a rip current. I survived, but she drowned. It scarred me so much, I never went into another beach, pool, or body of water again. I wouldn't even take a bath. When I learned of my powers, I was terrified."

"How did you overcome it?" I inquired.

"I had a dream one night of a lady dressed in blue. She told me of my destiny and that gave me the courage to step foot in my pool in the backyard. I told myself it was all or nothing, so I walked all the way in and sat at the bottom of the pool. I thought back to my dream and my body adjusted."

"What do you mean?"

"I grew gills."

I looked at her in surprise. "Gills? Like Finding Nemo?"

"You really like movie references, don't you?"

I shrugged.

"Yes. Gills. I sometimes think that they helped me survive the rip current. From then on, I wanted to control my power. I didn't want to be afraid anymore."

---

Amy's story inspired me. I was also tired of being afraid. Afraid of my own power, afraid of pain, and afraid of bullies. That night, while Amy was asleep, I climbed back up to the roof and jumped off toward the direction of the pool, just in case. I felt myself rise and fall. The fear settled in and I panicked. I was too far away from the pool. Before I hit the ground, I felt my back crack, like something was being set free. I was then lifted into the air. I looked behind me to see two white, large wings keeping me suspended in the air.

"I knew you could do it."

I looked down to see Amy hanging out of her window. I smiled at her.

"Now, get down before the neighbors see you."

"Yes, ma'am."

---

Two days later, Amy wanted me to go back to school.