001 | i'm in your face

Waving to my small group of 'friends,' I stepped off the school bus, smiling to myself when I could finally see the familiar sign of 'Toretto's,' our family-run market and cafe

Smiling at the customers sitting outside, I made my way into the store, where my sister Mia stood behind the counter, concentrating on her books - she was studying to become a doctor.

"Hey, Mi," I greeted, leaning over the counter as my older sister smiled, pulling me into a hug. She motioned for me to sit at the counter, where I placed my bag and took out my workbooks and notes.

Leaning to the side a little, I saw my brother's back through the office window; he seemed busy, so I didn't want to bother him straight away.

Mia put a coke can down in front of me. "How was school?". she questioned while smoothing the hair on top of my head with a soft maternal smile.

Dom and Mia, along with Vince and Letty, had been the ones to raise me since my parents' deaths when I was a baby. Letty and Dom became my caretakers/ parents, with Vince taking an overprotective surrogate sibling role.

Mia, however, was the emotional stability for me as I grew. Ourfamily had some rough patches; with Dom going to jail and them being in the racing scene, it was up to Mia to keep me on the straight and narrow.

She was probably the most mature out of all of them anyway.

Cracking open the can, I shrugged; school life was average. Besides being unnecessarily popular for my last name, my school life was a breeze.

I was well known around my high school because of my last name and who my family was, and what they did in their spare time. It was both a gift and a curse.

Some people loved the whole racing thing, but others in town looked down their noses at us.

I didn't particularly enjoy being in the shadow of Dominic Toretto, especially when people were willing to throw themselves at you just to get a touch of him.

"It was good," I hummed a sip of the dark beverage. "I can't believe I'm graduating soon," I grinned happily, knowing the freedom that would come from leaving high school.

"You'll be 18 too," Mia says emotionally with a fake sniff. "Our little baby is going to be a woman," she teases, glancing over her shoulder at me with a wink.

Rolling my eyes, I flipped open my books and folders with a sigh before glancing around with a confused frown. "Where is everyone?" I hadn't noticed it was unusually quiet around here until now.

Hearing revving engines and screeching noise coming from outside, I smirked, pretty much having my question answered as Letty saunters into the store.

"Hey, Letty!" I greet the older woman whose face turned from RBF to an instant soft smile. I loved being one of the only people who could turn Leticia Ortiz from angry/ annoyed to happy just by being here.