003 | long ass night

Standing with Letty and Mia, I shiver in excitement as I see Dom's car speeding closer to us

Standing with Letty and Mia, I shiver in excitement as I see Dom's car speeding closer to us. "It's him," I cheered as he crossed the finishing line way ahead of anyone else, especially Brian, whose car was a smoking wreck.

We all ran at Dom when he got out of his car, grinning widely. "Come on. Come on. Back up. Here's what you won, right here, there you go. You were racing a bunch of skateboards, know what I mean?" Hector says, patting Dom on the back and handing him his money.

My brother passes the money back to us. "My sisters hold the money," Dom says to Hector before turning to us and whispering, "Count it" Mia nods and begins to count as Dom suddenly picks up Letty, "and you're my trophy."

My brother gives me a wink as I watch him in awe. I don't think anyone had the luxury of calling their brother the coolest because that title belongs to Dom.

Brian's car finally makes it over the finish line making the crowd laugh at him. As soon as the vehicle stops, Jesse runs to it in anguish. "Was that fun?" he growls at Brian before opening the hood and letting out a cloud of smoke.

"What are you smiling about?" Dom questions Brian seriously, who is laughing to himself.

"Dude. I almost had you," Brian chuckles as some of the crowd laugh too but I wasn't totally sure if it was with him or at the audacity he had trying to call my brother out like that.

"You almost had me? You never had me. You never had your car," Dom taunts Brian as he walks around the car. "Granny-shifting. Not double-clutching like you should. You're lucky that 100-shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake. Almost had me?".

Brian's smile dropped at my brother's words.

"Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried. Ask any racer. Any real racer, it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning." Dom shouts, riling up the crowd, and I whoop along with them.

"Oh, shit! We got cops. Cops! Go! Cops! Get in the car! Go!"

Everybody begins to run and get into their cars, and I'm left standing there watching them feeling lost.

Feeling a hand grip my arm, I gasped and looked up to see my brother's concerned face. "Come on," he orders, pushing me back towards his car, which we immediately get into.

I glance around in a panic as we speed away from the race and onto the streets as police cars begin to come at us at every angle.

Dom's expression darkens when he takes a sharp right making the police cars speed right by us. He drives down into a parking garage and stops the vehicle.

He grabs his jacket and takes a quick glance around. "Let's go," he tells me, getting out of the car and locking it "keep your head down," he mutters as we head down the sidewalk.