009 | seeing red

A few knocks at the door woke me from my sleep

A few knocks at the door woke me from my sleep. I didn't even realize I'd fallen asleep.

The sun shone through my curtains as I sat up on my bed, my eyes feeling heavy from the amount of crying I had done, tears of both pain and sadness.

Another knock at the door sounded. "Come in," I called out, sounding deeper and strained. Crying yourself to sleep had that special kind of effect on you that even the day after made you feel crappy.

"Hi, Mija," Letty says, poking her head past the door before she walks in and sits on my bed. She smoothed away the hair that had stuck on my face from tears.

I give a half smile, used to her comforts, she may look rough around the edges, but she was a damn good mom to me.

"Listen, nothing is going to happen. I won't let it," Letty told me in her husky voice. "We're a family, and when they see that, they'll know they made a mistake," she added when she saw me look at her doubtfully.

"And if that doesn't work, there's always Mexico," She joked, or at least I think it was a joke. "Come on, let's get you dressed and downstairs. You're coming to the garage with us".

Letty patted my knee and walked over to my closet with a smirk. "I still can't believe Dom gave you the best room," she laughed with a twinkle in her eye.

All the rooms in our house were the same size, but this one was the master, it had a bigger closet, and it had been the room I was born in. Dom had given it to me, much to Mia's teenage dismay.

"You're such a princess," Letty laughed as she threw some clothes on the bed, kissing my forehead before helping me into the fresh clothes.

Gazing at myself in the mirror after being dressed by Letty, who was not as gentle as my brother had been at the hospital, but it was all or nothing with Letty.

"Wow, Letty, who knew you had style" I joked as she clipped the back of my head gently as she peeled off the old bandage, ready for a clean one. Mia had told us all the importance of cleaning our wounds; she pretty much nagged it into us.

Letty just raised an eyebrow at me and simply pointed to her outfit. "It's mechanic chic," she deadpanned as she helped me downstairs, explaining that Leon had gone out to get breakfast for me.

Reaching the bottom step, I saw my brother sitting alone in the living room, looking more upset than I'd ever seen him. "I'll uh meet you two there," Letty said aloud as she quickly left the house.

Silence wrapped around the house as neither Dom nor I spoke. He just sat with his hands clasped together, his eyes on the floor. I hated seeing him like this. It made me feel helpless.

I sat on the edge of the couch and faced Dom with a small sigh. "I'm not mad you didn't tell me. I'm mad because they thought you could ever hurt me," I whispered as Dom's head raised up slowly.