023 | long lost family

Walking out of the terminal with my bag, I smiled as the heat hit my body

Walking out of the terminal with my bag, I smiled as the heat hit my body. It weirdly felt refreshing, as if the stress of the last 5 years hadn't actually happened.

Hailing a cab or what looked like a broken down cab, I passed the driver the directions of where to go h"Americano?" (American?) the older man asked, looking back at me in his mirror.

"Sí señor" (Yes, Sir), I replied as I lay my head back on the seat and let the heat wrap around me. My nerves were starting to get the better of me, but I tried to keep them down. This would end the way I wanted it to.

It had to.

Turning my head to the side, I noticed all the broken-down houses. Sadly the people out here were living rough, but they were all happy even though they had no money, and that was the power of family.

That's what I've been missing; nothing feels as great as having your family around you.

"¿Negocios o placer?" (Business or pleasure?) the man asked from the front seat, glancing back at me again through the mirror, kindness shining through his brown eyes.

His question made me smile, knowing why I had come here. "Ambos" (both), I replied with a grin as he peered at me confused in the mirror but didn't press it.

Watching kids run around the car as we started to slow down, I knew we were here. Getting out of the cab, I smiled when the older man helped me get out with my bags. "Gracias" (Thank You). I smiled, giving him more money than I needed to.

I nodded at him when he looked down at the money, shocked before kissing the back of my hand loads of times "¡Muchas gracias, querida niña!" (Thank you very much, dear girl!)

Holding my bag in one hand, I waved when the taxi pulled away, revealing a cluster of buildings behind it. I smiled when my brother's baritone voice spoke out loud in Spanish.

Walking closer to a small building that was obviously someone's home, my heart started beating fast when I saw not only the back of my brother's head but Letty's too.

I watched as the people who sat around the table joined hands and spoke in prayer before looking up and smiling at each other. I can't remember the last time we prayed before we ate now.

"Oh my god," Letty gasped when her eyes moved in my direction "Dom," she stressed, nudging my brother's shoulder hard as I dropped my bag to the floor.

My brother turned to see what Letty was showing him. His face dropped, seeing me standing meters behind him. "Rosalie?" he whispered as he slowly stood up, watching me in disbelief, as did Letty.

"Dominic," I retorted, folding my arms and giving him my bitch face. As much as I wanted to throw myself at him and beg him to come home with me, I was still very mad.