CHAPTER 21

I looked down connecting my eyes with that of a confused amnesiac. I slowly cut of some hair not breaking eye contact before I moved away from him.

"Why did you cut my hair? What are you going to do with it?" He asked worriedly.

I could not say anything. I just stared at him, he looked so pitiable. The genuine confusion in his eyes and his swollen face, he almost looked like a frightened child.

If I didn't know the evil he was capable of I would have pitied him. The man had no heart now here he was completely at my mercy.

"Do you know me?" He asked again. Now he looked hopeful. I still didn't say anything, I just kept looking him. All I wanted to do was cause him more pain, hit him with my purse, stab him with my scissors, even suffocate him with a pillow. As long as he felt like dying.

"Who are you and what were you doing to me? He snapped. Even with amnesia he still had a stinking attitude.

I snapped out of my momentary homicidal thoughts and walked out. Barry kept calling after me but I didn't turn back, my mama didn't name me "Hey".

I went straight to the reception to make enquiries about doing a DNA test from there I was directed to the lab.

I explained to the lab attendant that I wanted a paternity test and I gave her the hairs I cut from Barry. The woman looked at me as if I was crazy.

"We can't do a DNA test from this, the hair needs to have follicles on it" she informed me before she carefully placed what I gave her in a ziploc bag and returned it to me.

My mission was an absolute failure. How was I supposed to go back into that cursed man's room?

"Can't you do it without hair follicles?"  I asked in frustration.

"We definitely can't however we can use a buccal swab or spit, fingernail or blood" she replied.

Well I have access to neither one of those either. How was I supposed to get his blood?I should have listened to my instincts, by now I would have had a generous amount of it on my scissors.

I thanked the lab attendant and left. I had to come up with a plan to get samples. My mom will definitely help, that woman is a genius and her plans always work.

I drove home to meet my mom and my daughter playing Ludo. My mother gave me a stink eye when she noticed me. It's safe to say she's still angry.

"Mommy I'm winning" My baby exclaimed giggling as she made moves on the ludo board. My mom smiled a bit but a scowl appeared as we made eye contact again.

"Have you eaten?" I asked no one in particular, I just threw the question out there.

"Grandma made spaghetti"

My petty mom obviously refused to eat my food. I rolled my eyes at her and went into the kitchen to eat. I warmed the food I cooked for her so I could eat. Mariana was oblivious to the tension between my mom and I and i wanted it to stay that way. Whether my mom likes it or not, when Mariana goes to bed, she must talk to me.

________________________

Ludo: Ludo is a strategy board game for two to four players, in which the players race their four tokens from start to finish according to the rolls of a single die.