18

Laura

The first thing Laura heard after her own heart beat and fragile breathing were whimpering and jibbering words. Her senses were apprehending her surrounding one by one.

She couldn't comprehend anything else except the urge to drink. She tried remembering what had happened and how she got into this neon dress.

"Can I get water please?" She said the words to no one in particular, she somehow knew someone was listening.

"Oh dear! You're awake. Olorun dupe o!," a dark, short and chubby woman made some dance moves with her hands help up high to the ceiling and her buttock shaking to no music in particular then she sang yoruba praises to God. "My daughter is awake o! Bola bring Katherine to see her mother!" She shouted to the door.

Laura watched the short show in amusement. She could feel the woman's happiness and gratitude. She, herself was oblivious to the situation at hand.

"Mummy! Mummy!" Katherine burst through the doors, clearly ecstatic. She leaped to the bed and hugged Laura.

"Oh I missed you too baby". She wrapped her arms around you her little angel.

"Thank you so much for taking care of her. You are a wonderful friend...Bo.. Bola?" Laura appreciated the lady standing beside her. The mild recognition of the lady's face brought a name to her thoughts.

"Yo...you... know me!?" Bola stuttered as she looked at her forever best friend in suprise and glee.

"Of course I do. Why won't I?" Laura asked, still a bubble of confusion.

"You forgot mummy. You only knew me. You forgot daddy too." Katherine tried to explain to her mother but the words were muffled as Laura still held her close and tight to her chest.

"Mom, is that true?" Laura looked at her mother for some answers even though she had a feeling she wouldn't like the answer.

"Yes baby. You fainted yesterday after... after," Sandra paused as she recalled when she promised Jonathan she wouldn't say anything till he arrived. She was scared of Laura's reaction to the truth but she was tired of the lies and secret, "Well baby, that doesn't matter. You did an operation this morning. We were told it was a 50-50 result..."

"I'll take it from here ma." Louisa placed her hand on Sandra's shoulders. She knew how hard the uncertainty and spasmodic event had been on everyone. It was her job and no matter how much she has come to love the family. She had to be stern and strong for the hard parts.

"Hey Laura, do you remember me?" Louisa flipped her notebook after her question.

"Yes I do. My pretend bestie." The smile and sarcasm from Laura told Louisa that it might not be hard after all.

"Okay I'm glad you remember that. I'm also a psychologist and in charge of your psychological analysis and health. Do you want anything before we begin our session. I need to ask you few questions."

"I requested for water?" Laura answered.

"Here darling. I was too excited, I forgot." Sandra offered her a glass of water.

"Thank you." Laura drank it all quickly. She didn't realize how thirsty she was.

"Katherine why don't you go play with your cousins, let mommy talk to Aunty Louisa." Bola lead Katherine, who was clearly not happy about the suggestion to leave her mom again.

"Don't sleep again mommy. I like you awake." Katherine waved before she skipped to tell everyone the good news.

Sandra also left the room. It was just Laura and the psychologist.