29

Sandra

"My name is Margaret."

Those words rang fierce in Sandra's head and they killed her immense joy.

She felt her heart melt and her mind scream in anguish.

Her heart throbbed in her chest, pounding to the beat of the music from the radio. She sat in the back seat of the taxi on her way to the family meeting.

Sandra knew Matthew was right, she had to tell everybody the truth.

She just wished there was another way, another to make everything right without the misery.

Sandra was not the religious type, her parents who had died in their sleep had been religious to the core. They had believed she was a sinner because she wasn't lucky enough to marry early.

Their harsh words and emotional abuse was what had led her into accepting a horrible man as her husband.

Religion had never saved Sandra, she was always hurt by everyone she ever tried to love and no supernatural being had come to her aid.

Even as she was not a believer, for a split moment, Sandra closed her eyes and said a prayer of little faith to any spiritual being that was out there. She prayed in her heart that no matter what happened today, her family should be safe and sound.

It had taken Sandra hours to sleep after Matthew had left her doorsteps, to be honest, she had slept for just an hour before she had to wake up and dress up for the family meeting.

Ever since her dear daughter began to show signs of recovery.

Sandra was happy than she had ever been and also in sore despair than she will ever be.

Sandra didn't want to go to any meeting. All her secrets were safe where they were, as secrets.

She was scared that she would be rejected after the truth was told.

Rejection, Sandra has had alot of that and she wanted no more.

She knew one thing. No one was taking her baby girls away from her.

Laury and Lola were hers. She would never share.

They were all the family she had and needed.

Sandra looked out the window as she remembered the letter she had collected from the post office.

She remembered burning that letter but the words still clinched to her head like smoke.

  Sandra,

         I'm coming.
    I don't care what you say or
    what they think.
          I'm coming home.

                 See you soon Sandy,
                              Matt.

She squeezed her eyes in pain as she realized it was too late to do anything. He was back already and even though he seemed different than the abusive husband she had married, she didn't trust him.

Regret swam through her, she should have never invited him for the meeting.

As the taxi driver made a turn, her phone rang.

"Hello, Naomi."

"Hey Sandy, are you at the estate yet?"

"No, but I'm close."

Sandra nodded to the driver as he asked her if he should  enter into the estate.

"Okay, I want you to keep a close eye on Laura, I heard Marcus talking to.. some...a.. can you... ?"