29

***

***

Mubashir's Pov

There comes a point in one's life when it feels like giving up. It's the same feeling, the same hopeless feeling that surrounded me every time I see the mess of our lives. Every time I see her crying, every time I see the disheveled state of Sahir, every time I see my parents lost happiness and every time I see the strong Sultan Rafiq Shah crumbled inside.

But I didn't give up...how could I? The chaos might seem like my breaking point but I know it's not the time to break. I have to hold myself...as much I want to lose, as much I want to give up. I have to hold myself...hold her...hold us.

She had cried like never before...her sobs were piercing in the eerily silent room. I had never thought that a strong person like her would get so weak and vulnerable but then who isn't vulnerable? Whole day was spent in haze, none of us spoke any words...it was just few eye contact and nodding here and there. Her past was always the hardest part for her...and this time too,it didn't do any better.

Night had approached...the house was silent after ammi and baba left. Sultan uncle was still in his room and Sahir was still not back. The growing tension between Sahir and Ayesha was really something I didn't expect. These two never fought...even when they were kids but,  the cold words shared between them was unbearable.

Sighing audibly I got up and proceeded towards my room. I didn't go to work today...it didn't feel like I should go. Bilal and Hamid bhai had gone to another city for handling some work. Some newbies of the Mafia world had attacks on one of our bases. They were new and so they made a mistake. I am sure these two would not spare any single member of the gang. The only problem in this was the Eagles...we were having a doubt that behind this attack it was their hand, but we are we... The Sultanat.

Lost in my musings I reached our room and slowly opened the door. She might be sleeping as the lights were turned off and there was darkness all around. Taking slow careful steps I switched on the lights only to find her standing near the window looking outside. Her one hand resting on the window frame.

“What are you thinking about?” I whispered as soon as I reached her. Standing beside her I looked outside, the soft breeze that used to welcome was nowhere...the shinning moon and star were hidden under the blanket of clouds. There was darkness, only darkness.

“About everything.” She spoke and heaved a sigh. Her eyes didn't leave the darkness...the effect of which was seeping inside her making her eerie and dark...far from hope and light.

“You promised me...you will pull me out from dark, chase my demons away but how will you do that when every time I take a step towards light my demons drag me back ten steps.” She spoke in an emotional less way as if chanting in hypnotized state. Indeed, she was hypnotized...by the monster of past and darkness.

“It's paining Mubashir...more than I can bear. I feel my self breaking again I recollect my broken prices. It feels like my soul is being ripped apart.” A shakiness in her words while her eyes hollow. This time it looked like her tears won't come...as if they had run away, betrayed her...as if they didn't want her pain to come out. Her tears had deceived her.