ferris wheel - coleman hawkins

being back in my hometown was weird. seeing all my old friends. the best part about it is i get to see my best friend, y/n.

lord knows, i've always had feeling for her. ever since elementary school. here she was right in front of me.

"coley!" she walked inside to hug me. "i missed you so much. now that summers started and you're back home, we can hang out more." i wrapped my arms around her, she's so small.

i smiled at her after letting go. "missed you too. what's new here? everyone's been up and at it."

she sat on the couch next to me. "oh, nothing really."
y/n's phone went off heavily. "shit."

i looked at her as she answered the texts. "dang, when this foolie get a boyfriend?"

"we're not dating, just talking." she shrugged. i was actually kidding, i didn't think she was going to get a boyfriend.

y/n looked at me, "you've gotten older cole."
her cold hand caressed my cheek causing me to get that weird feeling.

"i'm still the same old coleman hawkins." i shrugged trying to get the feeling away and laid my head on her shoulder. "what's the move today, y/n?"

"well, i don't really know." she went onto her phone, texting this dude. he seems like a bitch. "state fair?"

" what was that again?" i wasn't paying attention to what she was saying before all of that. i kinda kept my eye more on her phone reading about how she needs to facetime him and send her location. so stupid.

"you wanna go to the state fair tonight? give us a moment to catch up." her smile was beautiful.

i nodded, "yeah that'd be nice. i'll get you at seven?"

"okay!" she squealed. it's been a while since we've hung out. last time was spring break back in april, and it's june.

(state fairs usually don't happen here until july, but shhh.)

"i'm outside" i called her and she hung up. soon, she was out the door. her hair was straightened, she had a cropped black tank with jeans.

"hey bittttccch." y/n laughed as she got in.

"hey." i grinned and drove off. as we drove, sometimes i couldn't help, but just look at her. she was too pretty. y/n laughed and recorded me as we stopped at a red light before hopping onto the freeway.

we sang and danced to music. "you're my bessssst friend!" we both sang out loud. times like these were the best. just us two. watching her look at her phone and get irritated having to text back made a part of me jealous. i wish i were him. she'd definitely get treated right.

"we're here!" i put the car in park and we sat for a minute. finally, we got out and walked to the park to get our wristbands.

we walked into the park, and our first instinct together was to get food. she jumped as we were going to get tacos. "period!" she did a cute dance as we ate.

all the rides we went on were fun. y/n screamed loudly. i swear, my eardrum was nearly about to bleed. it was only ten and the park closes at eleven. we have to make the best out of it, especially since we're going off to college.

"let's go on the ferris wheel!" i pointed at the wheel that lit with purple, pink and blue lights.
she gave me that look. i knew she was scared of heights. "y/n y/m/n y/l/n, i promise it'll be okay. i got you."

y/n gave in making my smile widen. we got into the line and waited. it was only fifteen minutes, kind of long. however, the night was just ending and how do you go to the fair and miss this?

we stepped inside and sat down next to eachother. "hold my hand." without me responding, she grabbed my hand and our fingers intertwined. i knew she was scared.

"y/n, i got you it's okay." we started moving slowly. she squealed and her grip on my hand tightened. "y/n, i promise you.. you're alright."

she eventually got used to it after six minutes. "cole, look. the fireworks." fireworks at the park were going off. all sorts of colors. green to purple to blue to red.

y/n gazed at the fireworks. she looked beautiful with the moonlight on her too. "y/n?"

i need to get it out. i need to tell her, it's now or never. what if i never have my chance freshman year? "yes, cole?"

"i- i-" i stuttered for a bit and reassured myself. "i like you. i've liked you since eighth grade. i know i may not be who you want right now. but it's okay, i respect it. i just needed to tell you." her eyes gleamed, making me want to kiss her.

"are you kidding? i've liked you too. i just didn't want to admit it because i thought it would've ruined us. i don't wanna do that." suddenly, the weird feeling came again as i listened to her.

i couldn't no more. she just looked too good. i kissed her as we reached the top slowly moving our way down. the kiss deepened as the fireworks went off.

"y/n, before i never get the chance to do this. will you be my girlfriend." her smile widened.

"yes."

a/n: again basic but cute. thank you for reading. fun fact, i'm from where coleman's from 😍. a lot of people i know, know him. sad cos i don't 😥😥. anyways, thanks for reading !
- sativa 🐻