Hurt

*Back in Zeynep's POV*

I usually wake up to the birds chirping and wind breezing, but not today. The hurrying hooves of a rushing horse draw me awake and I get out of bed, yawning.

Osman Bey came back yesterday, after laying out a trap for Alisar Bey. Apparently Dundar and his family also repented. Alisar was to be beheaded soon to be followed by Bala Hatun and Kara Osman's wedding.

Bamsi Bey and Gunduz Bey also came back from raiding Alisar's mansion. My brother went with them but he didn't come back yesterday. They said not to worry, they left a few alps there to take care of the wounded. I just hope Yusuf isn't wounded.

I change into my black dress. Many people think it's odd that I wear black, I am not a widow or anything, but I like it. My dress is covered with gold lacing and sequins. It's more gold than black, really. I guess people just see the glass half empty.

I put on my headdress and run outside. There are a few horses carrying the wounded, but I do a quick scan and see not much damage has been done. The alps that were there caring for them and leading the horses, however, I don't see my brother as one of them.

As a horse trots faster I see him. He is on a stretcher, covered by a blanket. He looks like he is in extreme pain. "Yusuf'm! Yusuf'm!" I cry, and run over to his side, despite the big commotion of alps in the way.

He is lying on his back. I open the blanket to see a deep gash, going from one side of his back the the other. From his higher back to his lower. The skin around it was turning purple, and looked like it needed to be cauterized immediately. "Ahh Yusuf, sana ne yaptılar? What have they done to you?" I cover him up with the blanket, not wanting to look at that sight. Tears well up in my eyes.

"Baçı, you have to go. He needs to be taken to the healing tent." Dumrul Alp says gently. "I'll stay with him Dumrul!" I say as tears start dripping from my eyes. He tells me that it is better if I don't watch and that other men will be there too, healing up.

I slowly get up with the help of another Hatun. I take one last glance at my younger kardeş as I make my way back to the tent.