A Cry for 'Tuzak'

I ran deep inside the woods, my breath heavy and heartbeat fast. I saw smoke from a fire from around the corner, and finally, I was safe.

"Amir!"

I rush into the campsite, and almost faint from exhaustion. I was running through the forest all night, after spending a whole day at the Mongolian tent. I stop abruptly and take a breath.

"What is happening, Zeynep? Are they after you? Did you take it? Were you caught?"

I sit down and explain everything. I said I rushed here so we can make the copy before they find out. I told Amir that Balgay didn't notice, but he is planning something to do with Osman Bey. Amir said not to worry, as the tribe isn't one of my problems anymore.

Kılıç Bey had arrived, following him a blacksmith who would carve a copy of the dagger holding the laws. They sit by a fire, and leave me to do my work by another fire.

I get to work. Opening the parchment, I dip the brush into ink and say, "Bismillah." I look over at the top of Genghis Khan's actual laws. Obviously it is labeled as his laws. Cengiz Han'ın yasaları, I write.

A few minutes later, Amir comes to sit by my side. "So Zeynep, while you work, do you mind chatting?" I laugh at the question. Why does he need to ask to chat? I continue my work as he tells me about the relationship between Commander Aziz and himself.

Soon after, he has a question for me. "Well, I told you a lot about me and my baba. Tell me about your family."

"My family was born into the Kayi Tribe. My grandfather helped Suleyman Shah. My father helps Ertugrul Ghazi. And my brother now helps Osman Bey. My dad's abla helped Artuk Bey after his becoming blind. Her name was Ilçin Hatun. My father is Aydin Bey. My mother is Gulya Hatun. They aren't that well known in the tribe. I have two kardeşler. Burak and Yusuf. Rahmet Burak Abi was wayyyy older than me and Yusuf. He died at Alincak's hand when fighting for Ertugrul Ghazi. Yusuf just finished training. MashaAllah he is çok yiğit."

Amir looked overwhelmed at all the informationI spat out of my mouth. "Tamamm." He looks at the piece of paper I almost finished filling. "I see you can write as fast as you talk." I giggle and he beams. Odd. It's like he was so impressed with himself for making me laugh. However, his beam is suddenly replaced with a frown. Then, the question I have been dreading was asked.

"Do....do- do you have a lover?"

I blush and look down. I had finally finished the laws. I tried to distract him with the laws instead of having to answer that question. I would be totally fine talking about Konur with Burak Abi. Even talking about it with Yusuf sounds a little awkward. How am I ever going to get away without answering his question.

Luckily, an old friend saved me.

"TUZAK!!!!"

A voice was heard from down the forest. It sounded familiar. I heard the oooh-oooh aaah-aaah's of the mongols and knew what was happening.

"Bey'm."