25

Chapter 25 || News

While I sat in the doctor's office beside Sweet Pea, he told me about the new tape Jughead had brought home. It showed a person wearing a Jughead mask getting bludgeoned by a girl wearing a Betty mask. Of course, he didn't want to tell me, but I made him tell me what was going on back at home.

Despite the ongoing internal battle I was having, I still managed to miss my family. It was only recently that they had come back together- save for Gladys, who was MIA- and I missed family dinners, Saturday morning cartoons, and my dog. Sweet Pea assured me Bullet was taken care of, but it did little to make me feel better.

"Miss Jones?" A young nurse called, holding open a door. I took a breath and stood up, meeting the nurse at the door. "How are you, sweetie?"

"I'm alright." I nodded, following the nurse through a few hallways. She stopped in front of an empty exam room, and motioned for me to step inside.

"What seems to be the issue, Miss Jones?" The nurse asked, shutting the door behind her.

"Well, I uh-" I cut myself off, looking down at the ground. "I need a pregnancy test."

"That's something we can do." The nurse nodded. "How are you with needles?"

After a few vials of blood were drawn, the nurse offered me a gentle smile before ducking out of the exam room. She came back a few minutes later, a soft smile on her face.

"You're pregnant." She said, settling onto a chair beside me. "I don't know where your head is at, so I didn't want to congratulate you."

"But I am pregnant?" I questioned.

"That's what our tests say." She nodded. "Do you need access to other resou-"

"No." I shook my head. "I'll be seeing an OB from now on, thank you."

"You're welcome." She smiled. "You can stay here as long as you need."

"Thank you." I nodded sincerely. She left me alone, letting me take in the news that I was pregnant. Her tests wouldn't tell me how far along I was, not unless I wanted to go through another round of drawing blood.

I stood, leaving the exam room and backtracking through the halls to get back to the waiting room. As soon as Sweet Pea saw me, he jumped up and met me halfway. Instead of speaking, he grabbed my hand and led me outside to our truck. Once we were in the cab, he turned to me.

"Well?"

"I'm pregnant." I confirmed.

"How do you feel about it?" He asked, grabbing my hand.

"How do you feel?" I countered.

"Kit, don't let my opinion on the matter make your decisions, okay?" Sweet Pea stated. "It's your body, and it's your choice what happens from here. So, how do you feel right now?"

"Overwhelmed." I answered honestly, my voice shaking. "But happy? I mean, it's unexpected, but- I don't feel ready."

"No one ever feels ready, baby." Sweet Pea ran his fingers across my knuckles. "But, if you're happy, then I can tell you that I'm elated."

"Are you telling me the truth, or are you trying to make me feel good?" I asked.

"I'm being serious." He reassured. "I'm so happy, and I can't wait to have a mini you running around. It's just going to be much sooner than we expected."

"We're going to be okay, right?" I whispered. In response to my question, he pulled me into his lap and hugged me tight.

"We're going to be just fine." He promised. "I'll take care of you both."