17

Chapter 17 || Plotting and Planning

"I've got a weird feeling, Sweets." I muttered the next morning.

"What?" He questioned. "What's wrong?"

"Listen, I think something's wrong next door." I rushed, shrugging on a jacket and running to Archie's. He was walking down the sidewalk, but I headed straight for the front door. I opened the door and saw Bishop leaning over Frank in the kitchen. I picked up Archie's baseball bat and approached the taller man. I swung the bat, cracking it over Bishop's skull, dropping the bat as Bishop crumpled to the floor.

"What the hell is going on?" Archie questioned, rushing to my side. Bishop rolled over onto his back, kicking his leg out at me. Archie caught me before I could fall, and Bishop escaped through the back door.

"Baby?" Sweet Pea called, running through the house. His eyes found mine, and he grabbed me from Archie's arms. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Ted Bishop." I growled, glaring up at Sweet Pea. "Find him."

"What?" Frank questioned.

"You get on the phone. Get every able-bodied Serpent out on the street looking for this guy." I huffed, never looking away from Sweet Pea. "He's probably going to go into hiding. We know all the hiding places in Riverdale. I want him caught and brought to me."

"On it, boss." Sweet Pea nodded, heading out front to make some calls.

"You," I pointed to Archie. "Get me the first aid kit. Frank, sit down."

"I can tak-"

"Sit down." I stated, shoving a stool at him. He nodded and quickly sat down, watching as Archie scrambled for a first aid kit. Once it was open on the island, I got to work patching up Frank's knuckles.

"I'm sorry, Archie." Frank muttered. "I usually have an instinct about these things."

"Uncle Frank, why the hell is one of your friends trying to kill you?" Archie questioned, watching me work on Frank's hands.

"After the war, I was hard up." Frank started, wincing as I tightened the bandage on his hands. "Ted reached out, told me about this security gig. It paid well, hired vets, no questions asked. The thing is, it was a private paramilitary contract, and they sent us all over the world... as mercenaries."

"Okay, so why come after you?" Archie asked.

"My guess is the company's tying up loose ends." Frank offered, nodding at me while I put the first aid kit back together. "Maybe they're about to be exposed. Ted's still on their payroll."

"So get ahead of this." Archie decided. "You come forward and blow the lid off these mercenaries."

"It's not that easy, Archie." Frank sighed. "I was a part of it. I did things. I... followed orders."

"Alright." Archie nodded. "Then we need to get you out of town."

"No." Frank and I answered together.

"It's too dangerous." Frank continued. "Anybody he comes into contact in this town is at risk now. And he's not going to leave until I'm dead."

"So, in that case, we need backup." Archie huffed.

"No way." Frank shook his head.

"No, uncle Frank, trust me." Archie pressed. "This guy can help."

"Kitty's already risk-"

"Kitty isn't risking anything." I stated swiftly. "All I'm doing is putting my Serpents on watch. They won't let this guy out of town, nor will they let him hurt anyone in town. You worry about yourself, Frank. My Serpents and I are just fine."