5

5 || Preps and Pestering Parents

Jughead had asked Betty and I both to accompany him on his tour of Stonewall. Why? That's a good question. However, my question was never answered, not even as Jughead dragged me through the dreary halls of Stonewall Prep. It reminded me of a smaller, much more depressing Hogwarts.

"Hey, are you Forsythe?" A student asked, carrying himself in such a way that made me angry.

"Yeah." Jughead nodded.

"Bret Weston Wallis." Bret introduced himself, shaking Jughead's hand as he did so. "Mr. Chipping asked me to roll out the red carpet."

"You can just call me Jughead."

"I prefer Forsythe." Bret decided. "Who are your friends?"

"Betty Cooper." Betty spoke first, shaking Bret's hand.

"Cute." Bret nodded, looking Betty over. "Very... Sweet Valley High. And you are?"

"Kitty." I stated simply, raising an eyebrow at his outstretched hand. I shook it firmly, remembering my manners. "Jones. Forsythe's twin."

"Adorable." Bret smirked, turning back to Jughead. "Let me give you some stats. Our faculty holds 132 master's degrees and 28 doctoral degrees, which sounds impressive, but the truth is, most of our teachers are hopelessly out of touch."

Bret rattled off, leading us down the hallway. Betty and I shared similar looks before turning back to Bret, feigning interest in what he was droning on about.

"Except for Mr. Chipping." Bret smiled. "He's cool. And I'm not just saying that because he's coming right behind me. Mr. Chipping, how's it hanging?"

"Bret, don't let me interrupt you." Mr. Chipping smiled. "But I wanted to invite Jughead to sit in on a salon with us."

"If I'm not mistaken, we're focusing on Moby-Dick tomorrow?" Bret questioned.

"Oh, great." Jughead looked interested. "That's one of my favorites."

"See you tomorrow, Mr. Jones." Mr. Chipping nodded, striding down the hallway.

"Definitely." Jughead nodded.

"Betty, Kitty, you can come, too." Bret offered. "I bet you've got a lot to say about Moby-Dick."

"No, no I don't." Betty shook her head. "And I think I've gotten my fill of this place already, so..."

"What about you, Kitty?" Bret turned to me, looking smug. "You seem like you'd have plenty to say about Moby-Dick."

"Kitty..." Jughead warned, but I ignored him.

"Listen here, beef cake. If you think some petty attempt at poking fun at me is going to rile me up, you're wrong. I've been too busy cheating death, running a straight and narrow gang, and becoming a deputy at the police department to give much pause at childish teasing. Enjoy your tour, Jug, Sweets and I have plans."

"Be safe." Jughead sighed, kissing my forehead. "Text me when you and Pea meet up."

"Sure thing." I nodded, tossing a glare at Bret. "Have a good day."

--------

"Kitty?" Reggie sniffed after I answered his call.

"Reg?" I asked, sitting up in bed. Sweet Pea slid off of my chest with a groan. "Reggie, what's wrong?"

"Can yo- can you open the door?" Reggie asked.

"I'll be right there." I stated, dropping my phone on the bed beside Sweet Pea as I got up.