7

7 || Car Wash and Confrontations

"Found it." JB said, pushing open the door to Jughead's new dorm. Sweet Pea and I had been trailing after our family, muttering to each other about the architecture and how much we hated the looks we were getting from the students. But, this is where Jughead wanted to be, so we were going to support him.

"Well, we are certainly not in Riverdale High anymore." Jughead scoffed, taking in his new room. Sweet Pea and I were the last ones in the room, the pair of us looking around the dorm. "Welcome to the Dead Poets Society."

"Not a bad coop, boy." Dad nodded in approval. Betty and Jughead shared a sad look, and dad instantly grew uncomfortable. "Okay, guys, let's go find the vending machine."

"Oh!" I gasped sarcastically. "I remember where it is! Bret was good for something."

"Come on." Sweets laughed, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and leading me out of the room.

"No, you guys come on." I scoffed, taking the lead. "I actually know where the vending machine is."

"Triple Bubble?" JB asked, looking at the vending machine at the end of the hall.

"Whatever you want, kid." I snorted, handing her a few dollars.

--------

"Kit, can I talk to you for a minute?" JB asked, slowly walking down the stairs into my basement.

"Of course." I nodded, patting the couch cushion beside me. She jumped onto the couch, turning to look at me with an expression I'd never seen on her face before. "What's up?"

"How do you do it?" She whispered.

"How do I do what?" I questioned, furrowing my brow.

"How do you balance all of this?" She pressed. "I mean, you have a job, you go to school and get amazing grades, you're a cheerleader, you run a gang, you take care of dad and I, you have a boyfriend that you also take care of, and you still manage to have a social life. How do you do it?"

"Oh," I blinked, humming to myself. "Well, I think it started out of necessity; when mom left, I had to fill her shoes. I still had to worry about Jughead and I when dad was out drinking all night. School was always an escape, so doing my work was never an issue for me. Everything else was forced on me, but I couldn't let people who rely on me down. Cheryl needed me for her Vixens, the Serpents are my family, and when they became deputies, I couldn't let them do that alone."

"And you have to take care of me now that mom is gone, huh?" JB asked quietly.

"No." I shook my head. "I take care of you because I miss you. Because, even though I know dad could take good care of you, I want to be there for you. I want us to be close again. Where is this all coming from?"

"I just feel like since mom left, I've been struggling to fit in again." JB sighed, throwing herself back into the couch.

"Well, us Jones kids never fit in." I laughed, reaching over and pulling her into my arms. "But, you'll always have a place right beside me, JB. I promise."

"Good." JB said, curling into my side. "Because as much as I hate to admit it, I actually like watching you and the guys practice after school."

"That's because you and I are the same, JB." I laughed, kissing the top of her head. "Even if that makes mom mad."

--------

"I'm looking at around 40 grand to pay for renovations that the gym needs." Archie sighed, addressing our group. I was laying on top of Reggie, desperate for a nap, and Sweet Pea was sitting across from the couch, watching in amusement as Reggie played with my hair to get me to sleep.