13

13 || History Repeating Itself... Again

"So, Polly mutilated a nurse at Shady Grove?" I started, turning to look at my father. "And Archie's been off becoming Riverdale's own Red Hood? And, on top of that, Eddie's been looking for Dodger on his own?"

"I guess so, pumpkin." Dad sighed, pulling into the parking lot of Archie's gym. "Come on, Red and Eddie are inside."

"I'm not even mad that he's looking for Dodger," I muttered, following my dad into the gym. "I'm more upset that he's doing it alone."

"Take it easy on him, Kit." Dad warned, looking over his shoulder at me. "Maybe he doesn't know how to ask for help."

"Alright." I nodded, looking at the newly installed metal detector at the door. "Nice addition, Red."

"Thanks." Archie nodded, turning to my father. "Where did you get a metal detector?"

I ignored their conversation and turned toward the ring, watching Eddie go through different exercises. He offered me a smile, but I kept my face neutral. He seemed to realize what was wrong and leaned up against the ring ropes to look down at me.

"How much trouble am I in, Kit?" He asked softly.

"I don't know yet, Eddie." I sighed. Something Archie said caught his attention, and he bounced off the ropes and leaned against the other side, looking down at Archie and my dad.

"Hey, uh, I can help you find Dodger." Eddie offered. "I know the alleys, and a bunch of us used to work for him."

Archie looked over at me for confirmation, but I just raised an eyebrow at him, challenging him to say yes to Eddie's proposal.

"We're good, Eddie." Archie decided. "The last thing I need is you out there kicking up dust, okay?"

"Yeah, Eddie." I pressed, joining Archie and my dad. "They're good."

"Okay." Eddie nodded, looking away from me. "I'm just gonna..."

He turned away from us and went back to his exercises. I shook my head and looked at Archie with a stern glare.

"Keep an eye one him, Arch." I huffed. "Sweets will be by in a few to pick him up."

--------

"You are the worst." I hissed, glaring at Archie heatedly. "Remind me to never let you babysit for me."

"Well, you said Sweet Pea would be by for him!" Archie argued with me.

"And the responsible thing to do would be to wait until Sweets picked him up." I shook my head. "But you went home."

"He's your responsibility, Kit!" Archie snapped.

"But he was in your gym." I glared.

"Alright!" Dad yelled, slamming his hands down on his desk. "Both of you take a breath."

"No," I shook my head, folding my arms across my chest. "Because if Archie hadn't let those kids know about Dodger and his family still being in town, Malcolm and Eddie wouldn't be in the hospital right now."

"What happened?" Dad asked, running his hands over his face.

"Eddie and Malcolm are in the hospital." Archie reiterated. "Munroe is with them, they went after the Dickenson brothers. Bill and Fagan beat the living hell out of those kids. I'm not gonna let that go!"

"Alright." Dad snapped. "Alright, then. Your dad would pound the tar out of me if I let you do this on your own, but this is it. We handle these Dickenson boys and then you're putting this vigilante business to bed, all of it."