15

15 || Spirit Week

Spirit week was upon us, and the River Vixens were extra hyped about it. For the first time in a long time, the Bulldogs were going to the state finals. Not only that, but it would be the last spirit week for many of the Vixens, so it was bittersweet.

Sweet Pea had run off to his interview with Betty and a few team mates, while the River Vixens were making use of their extra free periods to practice for the final football game of the year. We were on our way to the gym when Mr. Honey intercepted us, shadowed by an enthusiastic looking woman.

"Cheryl, girls, how fortuitous." Mr. Honey greeted, stopping us in the hallway. I caught a good glimpse of the woman behind Honey and my eyes widened slightly in shock. "I'd like you to meet someon-"

"No time, Mr. Honey." Cheryl tried to side-step our principal. "We're on our way to practice our Spirit Week musical routine, which will, naturally, be epic."

"On that subject," Mr. Honey pressed, stopping Cheryl once again. "As was discussed with Mrs. Burble, I have brought in Miss Appleyard to be your... new coach."

"But cheer season is almost done, Mr. Honey." Cheryl argued.

"I can handle this, Holden." Miss Appleyard stepped forward, meeting Cheryl's venomous glare. Mr. Honey hummed and stalked off, leaving the Vixens in a standoff with an amazing cheer coach.

"Look, I'm not sure what Honey has told you, but we don't need a coach." Cheryl pressed, dismissing Miss Appleyard before she even had a chance to speak. "I run the show around here. Howevs, we are looking for a launderwoman."

"From now on, we're gonna change things up." Miss Appleyard announced, not phased by Cheryl's behavior. "The Vixens are a cheer squad. So, we'll be focusing on cheers, not singing and dancing to pop songs. Now, gather the rest of the girls and meet me out on the field, so we can practice some drills, okay?"

"I'm sorry, am I hallucinating, or did you just give me an order?" Cheryl asked, being her naturally dramatic self.

"I led my last team to nationals three years in a row." Appleyard stated. "I think I know what I'm doing here."

"Miss Appleyard," I greeted, gently pushing past Cheryl. "I'm a huge fan of yours."

"And who might you be?" Appleyard asked. "Wait, don't tell me. You're small, and your scars give you away; Katarina Jones."

"Please, call me Kitty." I grinned, starting to walk beside her towards the field. "I'm the only flyer you have on this squad, but I learned everything from your instructional videos. I can't wait to actually cheer for once."

"So, you think Cheryl-" Appleyard started.

"I don't think what Cheryl had us doing was bad," I defended. "I just think she likes the spotlight, and we don't have a spotlight if all we do is cheers."

"Well, as a flyer in your condition, you won't need much more conditioning." Appleyard mused. "You're still also nursing a slight concussion, so no flying until you're cleared."

"Yes ma'am." I nodded eagerly. "Oh, I'm so excited!"

--------

"A strike?" I scoffed at Cheryl. "Cherry, listen to me; Appleyerd isn't trying to run you over, she's trying to teach us. You have to realize that not everyone is out to get you."

"Kitty, you either join the strike, or you don't get to cheer." Cheryl threatened.

"You may be the captain, but you're not the one that makes those decisions anymore, Cherry." I reminded her. "I'm going to hit the weight room, tone up my legs and core so flying is easier."