4

4 || First Day of Senior Year

On the morning of the first day of school, I woke up extra early. I slid out of Sweet Pea's arms and let Bullet out the back door. I started the coffee pot in my small kitchen downstairs, knowing Sweet Pea would want a cup before coming upstairs. I stretched sleepily and kissed Sweet Pea's cheek before heading up the stairs to start a pot of coffee and some breakfast.

"Morning." A voice sounded, making me jump. I turned toward the source of the voice and relaxed slightly.

"Hey, Charles." I nodded, ducking into the kitchen. "What are you doing here so early?"

"FP wanted to ask me some questions about one of my old cases." Charles explained, watching me start a pot of coffee. "He's not awake yet, is he?"

"Not for another..." I trailed off, checking the time on the stove. "Fifteen minutes."

"Why are you awake so early?" Charles questioned. "School doesn't start for another hour and a half."

"I like to make breakfast for dad before he heads into work." I smiled, pulling out two pans. "And I like to have coffee ready for everyone, because we are not morning people."

"Ah," Charles nodded. "Mind if I stay for breakfast?"

"No, not at all." I shook my head, starting to fry some bacon. "It's weird having another brother."

"I think it's cool having another little sister." He snickered. "Even though she looks like a troll after she rolls out of bed."

"Hey!" I protested, throwing my spatula at him. "That's rude."

"But it's true." He smirked.

"Not all of us step into a suit every morning, Chuck." I pouted, grabbing a new spatula. "Can you be a decent brother and pout me a cup of coffee?"

Charles nodded and poured me a cup full of coffee as I flipped the bacon. Once it was done, I put the pieces on a plate and poured some sugar and cream into my mug. Charles poured himself a cup of coffee and sipped it black.

"How do you like your eggs, Chuck?" I asked, putting the clean pan on the burner I was using.

"Scrambled." He answered.

"Just like dad." I commented, scrambling enough eggs for him, dad, and JB. "JB, too."

I finished making the eggs in silence, the only sound being the occasional sip from Charles or I. I handed him a plate of eggs and bacon before turning back to the stove. I yawned as I made a plate for dad, leaving it on the island with a cup of coffee just how he liked it. As if on cue, dad walked into the kitchen with a smile on his face, dressed and ready for his work day.

"Morning, pumpkin." He greeted, kissing the side of my head.

"Morning, daddy." I grinned. "I made you breakfast."

"Looks good." He nodded. "Why don't you make sure your boyfriend is awake."

"You let him stay here?" Charles asked suddenly, looking up from his own plate of food.

"He's a good kid, Charles." Dad shrugged. "Besides, I've tried telling her no."

"And where did that get you?" I teased, pulling open the back door.

"Nowhere." He laughed, patting Bullet before turning to his food.

"Love you." I called, heading downstairs with Bullet.

"Morning, babe." Sweet Pea greeted me at the foot of the stairs, dressed and ready for school already. "Don't you look beautiful?"

"Don't tease me." I huffed. "I have to get dressed and fix my hair."