Epilogue

This is it guys. 

Side note, look what I found, a throne of glass crossword and word search! (https://wordmint.com/public_puzzles/133520) 

com/public_puzzles/133520) 

There was a buzz in the air, giving it a form enough that it seemed to pulsate with the throbbing of her heart. But in a long, long time that familiar beating of heart in her chest was due to excitement.

Aelin was graduating.

Technically she was graduating as Celaena Sardothien. Despite everything that went down, Dorian's father still did not like her, refusing to change her name at the last moment on her diploma certificate because she was "an irresponsible and reckless girl that needs to take responsibility for her forgetfulness". Well sorry if changing her name was not the priority on her to do list. At least he did not stop her from hanging out with Dorian, or the awkward 'thank you' conversation they both had last year.

It had been a year.

It was hard to believe that all of that went down just a year ago and sometimes it seemed an eternity had passed since then. She had come out of it, alive. They all had. Bruised, battered and struggling, but they were alive, with her heart still beating in her chest, not splayed open on some pavement like she had imagined. She had been given yet another chance at life. And for the first time since she could remember, she had the freedom to choose the life she wanted.

"Celaena?" She turned back. In the billowing, black graduation gown making his sapphire eyes stand out, Dorian looked handsome, despite his attempts to look strictly professional by holding his graduation cap between his elbow and body like a file. He and Chaol still referred to her as Celaena in the school instead of Aelin.

"Hi, Havilliard! You look good." He cocked an eyebrow up.

"When do I not look good? You don't look too bad yourself." He eyed her up and down. "What are you doing here? Everyone's looking for you."

She turned, pointing her chin where her eyes were focused on the board in front of her, taking in all she could, reliving all those moments.

"I can't believe all of this happened in the last 2 years, 4 for me though. But the first 2 weren't that interesting without you here." The juniors had prepared the board in front of them, a collection of photos spread out as a messy collage.

"You bet. The graduation at Terrassen Prep was yesterday. My friend Ansel invited me. They had a few photos of me in their 'Looking back' section too. It is surprising to compare those photos with these. All I see are memories, good or painful. Both here and now, I lost people, gained friends I never thought I would. To think I never wanted to come here," she chuckled dryly.

"Life never stops surprising. Things you never expect happen. Things you only wished but never hoped for them to happen."

"True that. But your direction is much different from mine," she smirked up at him. "Did you really come here for me or are you waiting for Chaol to make out with him?"