Chapter 26

Frowning, Chaol kicked a lonely stone on the gravel path outside the academic block, far from the Great hall. It was tiresome watching his friend dance with girl after girl. He wouldn't have danced with him, anyway, like Pelor and Nox. They were a couple for God's sake! And he was glad he hadn't worked up the nerve to ask him anyway, not after seeing the color that Dorian's face turned upon dancing with Celaena.

He wasn't a fool, he knew Dorian didn't like her that way, but he was well aware of the teeny tiny crush Dorian had on Celaena when she first joined. But it became increasingly clear that Celaena didn't have any romantic feelings for Dorian, and the latter's feelings too hadn't gone beyond that small crush, he was over now.

But it was Dorian. There was never just one person when it came to him. There was a line of girls after him, and while Celaena wasn't one of them, Kaltain definitely was. Given their newly developed friendship and the whole Perrington scenario, he sympathized with Kaltain. And so did Dorian. But was it just sympathy, or anything else blooming, he didn't know.

I don't think it's my attention that the suitor is vying for.

Celaena's words echoed in his mind. What did she mean by them, anyway? Did Dorian have a crush on someone? Or was it really what he was thinking, letting a small bud of hope bloom in his heart, fragile and so easily hurt? Should he let it bloom?

Chaol heard fervent noise nearby that drew him out of his reverie. He padded towards one of the gardens, tiptoeing across the shrubs, only to find Sartaq and Nesryn making out. He stopped dead in his tracks, stood there, feeling like a creep. They didn't notice him for the full 30 seconds he stood there.

Out of all people, he definitely did not expect this from Nesryn. She was more of behind the doors person. Maybe everyone was feeling bold today. Or maybe it was just with the one you genuinely like. He sighed looking up at the moon and the stars twinkling reminding him of Dorian's eyes.

Before he realized, he was running towards the Great Hall, a strange sense of boldness coursing through his veins, only one though in mind.

He had to find Dorian.

***

Dorian hugged Celaena, leaving her in front of the Hall and walked towards Kaltain who was sitting on the stairs, waving to Celaena.

"His phone is not reachable," she said as Dorian sat next to her.

"Where could Chaol go without telling us?"

"Maybe he left?"

"He came with us, so I don't think so," Dorian said, unsure of his own words.

"He could be waiting by the car." Kaltain looked up at him, and the next thing he knew was that he was escorting her to the parking lot, the phone in his hand still not being able to reach Chaol's. He called Chaol's house, he wasn't there. He called his own house, where they both were going to have a sleepover since his dad was out, but the servant said he wasn't even there. Where could Chaol go, especially without informing them? Without telling him?

"Dorian?" Kaltain whispered softly and he realized she had stopped walking.

"What, did you reach him? Did you see him?" Dorian looked around, his eyes trying to find the familiar face in the dark to no avail.

"Please just don't move. Don't say anything. I just want to try something." He finally met her eyes, the hesitance on her face as she ambled towards him in those painfully high heels, hand resting on his chest. Before he could question, soft lips pressed onto his.

She kissed him carefully, his lips moving, returning the kiss, before realizing what he was doing. He held her by the shoulders gently and pulled back.