Chapter 39

Hey guys. It's been exactly one year since I started this story on a hunch after I found the first chapter in my folder. I wrote it sometime but never bothered to continue. I never thought posting it would bring such response. Amongst all the delayed 'weekly' updates, I am really grateful to all of you, whether you've stuck around since starting or have joined somewhere between. It's been an amazing ride and I hope your're enjoying it too. Enough of my rant. Happy reading now ;)

There are 2 types of days that Elide held long standing dislike for- birthdays and death anniversaries. Like the person has already died, you are torturing yourself by remembering the gone again and again. Birthdays, on the other hand, are even stupider. One more year closer to death. Who's so happy about life that they have the need to celebrate it every year?

Apparently Aedion, when he decided to throw Elide a birthday party.

It wasn't exactly a surprise when Evangeline had been giggling to herself whole day, Lysandra, Aedion and Aelin becoming sick on the same day.

It was stupid, really. Elide never liked her birthday specifically. Her parent's death, uncle Vernon trying to sell her, trapping under Arobynn, breaking up with Lorcan, all happened on or near her birthday. So her aversion to her birthday wasn't really a surprise.

Given everything going on, they really needed a break. But fate never goes their way.

So when Aedion popped party poppers and yelled HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIDE, loud enough to wake the whole neighborhood at midnight, he should've seen Arobynn coming in and making this an opportunity to forward some scheming of his.

God, for someone who was one of the most skilled fighter- both mentally and physically, Aedion sometimes behaved like the dumbest person she knows. All muscle, no brain.

So here they were, at some bar/club/lounge, whatever it was, trying to enjoy. The only one with any kind of gleam on his face was Arobynn. It was funny how Arobynn who was wallowing in his loss had earned back money within days. They had to leave Evangeline home, much to everyone's distress but Lysandra had locked the door several times, kept any defensive weapon Evangeline would need with her. Damn, Elide missed that little ball of fluff. She would pick up any day to spend her birthday at home rather than under the colorful lights and dizzying music of the club.

Arobynn walked in the front, Aedion and Aelin next, and Elide and Lysandra at the last, due to her leg. Several heads turned to look at them, perhaps due to Arobynn or perhaps due to Lysandra. She looked gorgeous in a shimmery golden bodycon dress, the deep neckline accentuating her breasts teasingly, the chained collar adding to her confident aura. Elide wished she could pull off a dress like that. Lysandra was a sun to her moon, Elide donning a simple silver flair dress, hoops in her ear matching the dress. The boots ruined her look, but she'd take a ruined look over a ruined leg any day.

Aedion, sunsurpringly, cleaned up well, wearing a dark blue shirt with beige fitted pants, twinning Arobynn who wore a maroon shirt instead. Aelin was, well, dressed to kill. In her all black attire of full sleeved crop top, slitted skinny jeans, ankle boots and a golden long chain pendant like her hair, she scared eyes away as much as she drew them. With Aedion continuously whispering in Aelin's ears and giving a stink eye to everyone who looked at them a tad bit longer, the attention drew away from them.

She'd noticed Aelin and Aedion whispering more than usual, something that was bothering Lysandra too but they didn't push them. Reckless as they were, the cousins loved each other enough to make sure the other was never in trouble they couldn't handle. They made way to a clearing next to the bar, a few feet away from the dancing crowd. There was already an entourage waiting for them.