Chapter 12

Aelin entered her house, and decided there were worse things to worry about, other than Arobynn.

Like Aedion.

He was sitting cross legged on the couch, back erect and eyes holding questions she didn't want to answer.

"Aelin! You're home. Oh wow, didn't realize when the time passed. I hope the University opens soon, I'm so bored nowadays. Enough about me. Come sit down." He paused his rambling, beckoning her to come over. He gestured to the lemonade on the   table and smiled. Or atleast tried to. She sat down, hesitant.

"We haven't had a brother-sister talk  in days. Let's talk about you." Uh oh. Aedion's deep voice was squeaky. She knew what was coming and grabbed onto the lemonade, gulping it slowly as possible, so she didn't have to talk.

"How's your new school? Did you make any new friends?" Without giving her a chance to answer, he continued dancing around the topic. Aelin just propped her chin on one hand, waiting. "Of course you did. You were always quick to make friends." No she wasn't.

"Talking of friends, aren't you going to introduce them to me-  I mean, us? Are they nice? Polite to drop you home and stuff."

There. There it was.

"Aedion."

"Hmm?"

"I'll break off your hand, shove it up your ass, put my hand down your throat and shake hands with you if you don't shut up."

It took him a moment to understand what she said.

"What's the need to do all that? We can shake hands like normal human beings." He offered a hand.

Aelin grabbed it, twisting Aedion's wrist on itself. Aedion winced and before he realized, he was pinned down, Aelin sitting on his back.

"Come to the point, you hulking brute!"

"Who was that guy? Should I be worried?"

"No, you territorial bastard. Thank goodness you didn't come downstairs and scared him away. He's just a friend."

"Good, because I didn't think you were ready, yet!"

There was a moment of utter silence, which was loud enough to ring in his ears.

The grip on Aedion's wrist loosened.

The weight on his back lightened and Aelin stood up.

He dusted off his tee, knowing he'd messed up again.

"I didn't mean it like that-"

"Cut it, bro."

"Aelin. Listen to me. I am just worried. Lysandra said you'd find someone. And I'm pretty sure you have found quite a few. My point is, are you ready for this? If not, then you'd end up hurting an innocent fuckboy-" She snickered humorlessly at that, hugged Aedion, who was relieved and went to her room to change.

She just lied down , staring at the ceiling, wondering if she would ever find a guy who'd love her as much as Sam Cortland.

***

Aedion cleared his throat, the whole table looked at him in anticipation and exasperation. They were all almost done with the dinner.

"I have to tell you guys something about Elide."

Elide sighed loudly, muttering something to God and got up.

"If it's about you scaring the living shit out of me, I've heard it gazillion times in the past week. I'll put Evangeline to bed as I'm in no mood to hear it all over again." She put her and Evangeline's plates in the sink, and went to Lysandra's room, the little girl padding behind her. As soon as the door closed, Aedion whipped towards them, turning up the volume of television.