Chapter 25

Did you guys get notification for the last chapter and this one? I haven't been getting any notifications so... The book hit 10k!

Rowan's jaw almost dropped as he saw Celaena Sardothien in the hall. She might have her faults, but Celaena never did anything half-heartedly. She'd outdone herself with that dress. He couldn't tell if it were a dream or reality that several heads, were turning towards her every minute or so. Her dress was made of stars plucked from the sky, and the whorls of crystals in her gray mask skirt glittered.

"Who is that and where did she get that dress from?" Kaira breathed beside him, in complete awe of Celaena's dress. Walk to her. Take her hand. But his feet were leaden, and Rowan could do nothing except watch her dance with the principal's son as Kaira led him away. The music of the waltz ended, and he took a step forward. But someone bellowed that it was the last dance, and Rowan clenched his jaw tight enough for it to hurt as she smiled at Dorian. He extended his hand and Celaena stared only at Dorian with those starlit eyes, and her long, white fingers floated through the air to meet his.

His friends were chattering as Dorian led her the dance, and they disappeared into the throng.

"Looks like pretty boy got a pretty bodyguard. He's dancing with one girl, for a change and no one is interfering. Damn, did he take abstinence, now?" Gavriel's partner, Mina said, and he put a hand to shush her. Rowan could feel his friend's gaze on him. The music ended and Rowan found himself staring in the turquoise eyes, smile vanishing from Celaena's face.

He felt Mina fidget beside him, observing the scene, looking at Rowan and Celaena, who was still staring, wide-eyed, at the latter.

"Do you know her, Rowan?"

"No, I don't," he whispered, and walked away.

***

What was he doing here?

True, she'd been hoping and waiting for him to arrive, but now that Rowan was here, the gorgeous senior Kaira Achard grinding on him while the crowd around them jumped to the loud music being played, she did not know what to do.

After the searing eye contact that would have normally had her reaching out for anything to use as a weapon, Rowan hadn't said a word or even acknowledged her. He smiled, smiled at Kaira, like she was the only one that mattered. It left a weird feeling in her stomach that made her want to ruin Kaira's pretty hair bun somehow.

But she was not bring-down-other-woman-to-feel-good types. She wasn't going to hate on Kaira because of Rowan. She was better than that. So she grabbed Fenrys, and started dancing with him. Jumping, whooping, shaking, Fenrys was a perfect partner to her craziness that she almost forgot why she was exactly doing this.

Soon enough, she lost Rowan in the crowd and a guy came in, whispering something in Fenrys's ears, who smirked at her and left. The clock struck 11 and she found herself walking in the school gardens, moonlight painting the world with a beautiful silvery sheen. The others had left, Dorian offering to drop her but she'd already called Aedion who was halfway to the school, but she asked him to drop Kaltain instead. He hugged her and left, and the warmth of his hug long gone as she wrapped her hands around herself, watching the moon. The world was silent, no music reaching here, only sound being the natural orchestra played by insects. She picked up her phone and played the music, same waltz sounds as played inside. She removed her glass slippers, the grass laden with dew drops tickling her feet as she walked slowly, then skipped and twirled, the skirt fanning around her.