Chapter 36

The cool river breeze blew his hair behind him, entangling and untangling them over and over again. Aelin was right, his hair was getting long, he should cut it. He let out a huge exhale and leaned against the side of his motorcycle, waiting for the other person to show up. If he would've taken the car, others would have been suspicious. Now they thought he'd just gone out to clear his mind.

The honking of the horn behind him had him alert, mentally assessing all the weapons he had on himself, in the bike seat and the potential escape routes. Because the guy would make a formidable opponent. But when the other person got out of the car, the only thing Aedion noticed was how tall he was.

Rowan Whitethorn was almost an inch taller than him.

Aedion's pride was hurt, but sizing Rowan up calmed him a little when he noted that Aedion was more muscular. Good. And as if the intimidating aura wasn't enough, he had a tattoo etched on his neck, winding down all the way below his jaw.

He was surprised when he got a text from an unknown number for a meeting. He straight up replied, 'new phone, who's this?' The guy explained who he was and how Aelin had given his number for emergencies. For her sake, Aedion could try to be civil.

"So you are the guy who gave my cousin a hickey?" Aedion chirped. At least the tone was civil. Rowan walked in front of the car, the smell of pine and snow hitting Aedion.

Rowan winced, eyes narrowing as he nodded, "Yes, I am Aelin's boyfriend. Rowan, Rowan Whitethorn."

Aedion couldn't help but notice how Rowan's face softened at the way he pronounced Aelin's name. Carefully, like he could somehow mess it up, the sacred prayer. Even though Aelin was far from sacred.

"And I'm her cousin, Aedion Ashryver."

"I know. You look a lot similar. The hair and eyes." Rowan pointed at his own silver hair, complete contrast to his blond, and his eyes. Aedion suddenly felt a twitching need in him to ask a question. Everyone had asked him to ignore that twitch. He ignored their advice instead.

"So, what do you identify as?" Rowan raised an eyebrow, not quite understanding. He leaned against the bonnet of his car, beside Aedion, watching the flowing river ahead.

"I mean, you said me and Aelin look similar, so if you were to say, not straight, you would've had a hard time choosing." Looking at Rowan's face, Aedion bit his lip, realizing what he had implied, but shrugged it. He was confident about his sexuality so fuck it.

"Probably. But I'm straight. Tried, but didn't like it much. I'm guessing you're not straight?" Rowan said, his voice calm, yet unwavering.

"Gender isn't an issue for me. But I'm in love with a girl so yeah." Aedion said, smiling as Lysandra's face came to his mind.

"I know. Aelin told me. And indirectly Lorcan." At that, both of them snickered at the same time and Aedion uncrossed his arms, putting them on the bike behind him. The sun was starting to set, the ball of fire painting the glistening surface of water in hues of red, orange and yellow.

"So why did you call me?"

"It's about Aelin." Aedion felt every muscle tense in his body, every ounce of his attention hanging on Rowan's every word. "With Kaltain being kidnapped, and Arobynn's loss, Aelin could very well be next." Aedion had thought about it, as the only connection between them is Aelin. Rowan continued.

"Also, Arobynn-Maeve partnership is not sailing smoothly. I haven't had the cleanest past either with no enemies. So there's danger from that side as well. You could expect people hurting her because of me." Aedion nodded, all the paths opening up in his mind. He felt another question bubble inside of him, but unlike the previous one, there was no twitching. Just pure curiosity and worry.