Chapter 5

What are your honest thoughts about Kingdom of Ash?

***

"You seem distracted today. It's only second day in school for you." Chaol whispered to her, seated on the third seat at the end of Mr. Brullo's class.

She was distracted. Obviously going back to that hellhole of fighting pits where she could possibly die, being out of practice for months, was much important to contemplate about instead of Trigonometry.

She just shrugged.

"Maybe the weekend would give you a break. You were lucky to join in the middle of the week." This was the most Chaol had said to her without getting irritated by her mere presence.

Before she could answer, Dorian, sitting in front of Chaol, twisted in his seat and looked directly at her.

"I apologise for being so handsome that I distract you." He said it with such seriousness and conviction, it took Celaena a minute to register the remark.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." She replied with the most deadpan voice she could muster.

"I could help you sleep at night." He didn't miss a beat. She had to admit, Dorian was handsome. Just not her type. With the sapphire eyes and black hair, who was she kidding, he was everyone's type. He could be a good distraction, specially now when she was in desperate need of one.

"Believe me honey," she paused for effect, "if we were together, sleeping is the last thing we'd do."

Dorian give a surprised smile and even Chaol was eyeing her interestingly. A gasp was heard, which she was pretty sure was Kaltain. Then it was followed by rolls of hooting by students nearby who heard, majorly Hasar, who she'd butted heads with yesterday, but realized they were both similar and became friends.

Celaena normally annoyed a lot of people but here she made friends with a lot of students, maybe because of Chaol and Dorian. The dreamy eyed Ress, the firecracker Hasar, her beautiful girlfriend Renia, Chaol's ex-girlfriend Nesryn (who she loved because of her dry humour), Hasar's pole opposite cousins Sartaq (who was definitely hitting on Nesryn) and Kashin.

Second day and these many people could tolerate her. Wow. Progress from her previous school where her friend circle was restricted to her 4 roommates. Others either wanted her, were jealous of her or were annoyed by her at some point. Maybe it's just these people hadn't seen her real colors yet.

Guess it was a fresh start in many ways.

The click of heels on the floor silenced the class as all eyes turned to the extremely beautiful and effortlessly graceful Liberal Arts teacher, Miss Florine. It had her in complete awe with a little tinge on envy how this woman could be like this even in late thirties.

Miss Florine clapped her hands together, leaving them clasped. All the remaining noise died down, everyone's attention hanging on her every word.

"So class, let's begin."

Her old dance teacher was completely professional in pretending to not recognize her. Miss Florine was patient in teaching the subject, unlike dance when she became an evil mad dictator. Arobynn had paid a hefty sum to her, for teaching Celaena to be flexible, stealthy and graceful, lest she bulked up like Aedion. Florine had tried to shield her from Arobynn's influence, but it was only so much that she could do.

Atleast one of them had escaped Arobynn's claws.

Seeing a familiar face, even though a good one was not enough to calm the turmoil inside her.

Even her favorite subject, Dorian's questionable wink, Kaltain's sad attempt at stink eye, Chaol's unreadable expression were not enough to distract her.