Chapter 18

Look what I found on YouTube ^^

3 days. 

3 days was how long Rowan lasted before leaving a message for Celaena to meet her on the roof, after hearing few snippets of her bathroom conversation with Curtain or whatever her name was. 

He was sitting on the cool hardwood bench, the sounds around him fading to nothing. The only thing he could feel was the smooth, bumpy surface of the basketball as he pounded it to the ground, knowing the ball wouldn't go anywhere other than his hand. The paint on the floor of the court had faded long time back, and it was peppered with dents but Rowan would not have it any other way. He loved this place. He loved the musty, stale smell of the court. The signature smell of sweat, cheap deodorant and hardwork. He loved the electric feeling in his fingertips whenever the ball touched them, the impact sending the ball to the floor, only for it to bounce back in his hands. He loved every second of it. 

But right now his mind was too preoccupied with Celaena. What was the girl upto? What did she think about her Kaira leaving like that? Did she tell anybody? He wasn't going to talk to her, but there was another voice inside him, perhaps the rational one, to know what was she going to do about Curtain?

So he just snuck into her class during lunchtime, left a note in her bag to meet her in the last period on their usual spot. He just hoped she came. 

Their usual spot. 

It sounded so couply that Rowan wanted to barf. It was second last period going on. He was just waiting for the bell to ring. 

His hand suddenly felt cold and empty. He looked down, only to find the ball missing. 

"I can't believe you didn't notice me. Are you that pissed about not playing?" 

He looked up to find Fenrys spinning the ball on his finger. Such a showoff. But girls and boys swooned over anything and everything he did. Rowan was sure he heard some girl scream about Fenrys putting his perfect fingers to some other use.

“Don’t be stupid.”

“I heard Kaltain caught you with Kaira in the girl’s washroom. Perrington said we shouldn’t worry about her.” Fenrys stopped spinning the ball and started crossover dribble between the legs.

“Exactly. She thought we were just hooking up. Don’t worry about it.”

“I’m worried because Kaira told me you didn’t do anything except kiss her.”

“How do you know that?” Rowan quirked up an eyebrow.

“Well,” Fenrys smirked, “She had to go somewhere after you left her dissatisfied.” Rowan just huffed. He knew it was going to happen. And he didn’t care.

“Let’s just hope the stuff didn’t disappoint her like you did. I guess I’ll take your place on the court too today.” Rowan just glared back at Fenrys that had him scrambling back to the court with a fiendish grin.

It was true though. It was the first time that Rowan was not in the playing five in the match against Fenharrow Public School later the same day. It was gnawing at him, but given how distracted he’d been in the practice for the past three days, he knew it was for the best.

A roar of cheers from the crowd snagged his attention to the court, where Lorcan, high in the air, in the middle of a jump, dunked the ball right into the basket. Vaughan, the captain, clapped on his back once and Lorcan wiped a sheen of sweat with the hem of his jersey, but didn’t smile. Not even a nod of acknowledgement. The pride of being the best player.