Chapter 8

Yep, it's Sam and Celaena.

***

"Pssst."

Chaol ignored her.

"Pssst, pssst." Chaol let out a huge sigh but didn't even turn to look at her. Dorian leaned back in his chair, barely concealed grin dancing on his lips. So did Ress, sitting next to Dorian, and even Hasar and Kashin shifted towards right to hear her. There wasn't much gap between the rows but in the near silent class of Professor Quinn, even whispers seemed to echo. He had given assignment the day before, which no one could complete-thanks to Mr. Brullo's excessive homework, so Mr. Quinn was making everyone do it in class.

Except for Chaol.

Deep purple lined his eyes, the same shade as starless sky just before the sun rose . The only student to choose homework over sleep.

"I'm not telling you the answers." Chaol huffed. He looked so cute in that moment that Celeana wanted to squish his cheeks. But the gesture won't be appreciated by the fuming male, who was trying to gain back his lost sleep.

"It's not that."

Chaol finally met her eyes, raising an eyebrow in question.

"If you were a vegetable, you'd be a cute-cumber."

She heard a few snickers but the boy beside her wasn't amused.

"I'm kidding," she paused. "You're literally named Kale already."

And that was enough to set Dorian laughing on the floor, with Hasar and Ress. Kashin covered his laughter with cough.

"What. Is. Happening." Celaena looked up to meet the eyes of Mr. Quinn, who looked more done with them than they were.

She was escaped from an answer, when the door opened, the secretary entering the room.

"Celaena Sardothein has been called to the Headmaster's office." She announced, followed by waves of hooting. Second week and already.

"Good. The joke was terrible enough." Mr. Quinn waved her off, Chaol just laid down his head again and Dorian gave her a thumbs up.

"Also, Kaltain Rompier has been called in Vice Headmaster's office, after the classes are over." Celaena furrowed her eyebrows. Her confusion increased further as Kaltain's face was contorted into disgust momentarily before smoothing to politeness and she nodded.

Weird.

***

Her heart thumped like never before, blood pulsating through her body, leaving a ringing sound in her ears as Celaena stood in the Headmaster's office.

She wasn't alone.

Seated on the swiveling chairs across the Principal were Vice Headmaster Perrington and Sheriff Westfall.

She gulped.

Celeana hadn't seen the Sheriff since the night she was let out of prison due to lack of evidence, which was few months ago.

Not again. She couldn't go back to that place again.

Her breath started coming out in pants, the room seeming to whirl a little.

"When I gave you admission in Adarlan High, I warned you that your past shouldn't taint the image of our school." The voice skittered down her spine as Celaena couldn't bring herself to meet the Headmaster eyes.

"Barely 2 weeks and I'm getting reports of your bunking classes. Where do you go?" The curiosity in his voice indicated that even CCTVs couldn't find her.

Okay, that's good. Maybe it was regarding that only. Sheriff could be here for routine check or something.

"Library. I need to catch up with the syllabus." She replied in a small but unfaltering voice, glancing up finally.  They all looked unconvinced but Sheriff sighed and swiveled the chair to face her.

"That's not what I'm here for." He paused.

"We found the new clues regarding death of Sam Cortland." Celaena bristled, eyes widening enough that the sheriff looked concerned, but continued nevertheless.

"The death of Rourke Farran just confirmed that. His body was found with his boss, Ioan Jayne. We believe it to be a power scuffle. Do you have any knowledge about this matter?" She shook her head in denial. Of course the knowledge of Pits won't be let out.  

"I'm hoping you are telling the truth because in the light of new clues, the case has been opened again. You don't want to go through all of it again." His voice lowered, almost worried in the last sentence.

"I'll ask one more time. Did you kill Sam Cortland?"

It was as if everyone in the room was holding their breath, even Perrington, who didn't let go of any opportunity to berate her.

"I loved him more than anything in the world." Her voice cracked, but Sheriff deemed the answer good enough.

"I'll take my leave now, gentlemen. A heads up for you, Ms. Sardothein, you could be called again for further investigation." The sheriff stood up to leave but Perrington motioned him to sit down.

"You can leave now." She couldn't be more grateful. The room began spinning, closing in, on her. The red of Perrington's thinning hair mixed with the red walls, her vision blurred as river of tears threatened to break through the dam. She left the suffocating room, throat choking.  

The walk through the Headmaster's block felt like a drag. It was back again. She could really never escape her past.

The clock tower thundered above her, the time reminding her of class, but she didn't care. She just wanted to be alone.

Celaena looked towards the staircase of the sports block, winding upwards.

It called to her and right now, she just needed to be somewhere, anywhere but with no disturbance. Situations like this were why she needed a hideout or a safe haven.

The roof could be a start.

***

Okay, that was a really short chapter. Apologies, it's like a filler. My exams are finished so I'm back. Yay, I guess.

I don't know how, but my laptop got formatted and the drafts of the next few  chapters got deleted and I have to rewrite them all over. :(

Thank you for supporting me. I hope you're liking it so far.

Vote. Comment. Share.

💜