Chapter 27

Aelin checked her wrist watch, tapping her feet fervently against the floor . It was 7:30 in the morning. There was no one in the whole school except for the janitors. She was an idiot when she agreed to Rowan texting her to meet up today. Alone. Not on their usual spot on the roof, but in the sports block, near the basketball court. She could have, should have asked him to meet in the afternoon.

But after that stare, the damned stare he gave her when they danced after the ball that made her feel too many emotions than she'd like to admit, she was willing to climb Mount Everest to know the meaning behind that stare, that she wasn't imagining stuff.

She checked the time again. 7:32 am.

She sighed loudly, holding back the swear word on the tip of her tongue, that would echo in the empty place.

On second thought, swearing wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The cold hardwood bench she was sitting on, now felt warm and the musty smell of sweat and cheap male deodorant not attacking her anymore. Her eyes traced the several dents and faded paint of the basketball court, and before she knew it, she was dribbling a basketball. Her fingertips tingled every time the ball touched her hands and then the force sending the ball to the ground and back to her hand. She walked, dribbling, closer to the basket. Her eyes traced the flimsy net dangling from the red ring, a lazy challenge to her.

Easy peasy.

She imagined Aedion's face, because the idiot interrupted her and Rowan dancing, and that was the reason she just ran away, like Cinderella at midnight. She or even Aedion hadn't realized she was barefoot until Lysandra questioned her.

What if Rowan had called her to just return the heels? But he could have just mentioned on the text, while she was thinking about his stupid stare the whole weekend.

No, she just shook her head, clearing her head, all thoughts focused on the basket and she threw the ball.

***

10 minutes had passed since Rowan watched the girl try to get the ball into the hoop, only to fail. Several times. Too many times.

He saw her pause, take a deep breath, turquoise eyes focused with sheer intensity and then aim the ball again.

She missed.

A chuckle left his mouth and a string of creative and colorful curses left hers.

"Statistically speaking, you should have hit it, at least once by now."

She flipped, the golden hair tied in the ponytail whiplashing. But she didn't miss a beat.

"Statistically speaking, a person your age should know how to see time but here you are."

"I was on time. I was watching you miss baskets. Repeatedly." He dropped his bag on the bench and went on the court.

"Then it wouldn't be too hard for you to beat me, would it?" She feigned innocence but the impact on his hand when he caught the ball she passed him with one tap, the thud echoing, had him riled up.

"Bring it on, Aelin." He didn't know why, but he felt like saying her real name now, like Celaena was a facade which had now melted away, for him to see the hidden person, Aelin.

Her eyes narrowed and the stare faltered but the small smile resting on her face assured him that he hadn't crossed any line.

He dribbled the ball slowly, to the center of the court where Aelin was standing.

"Half court."

"Half court it is, you prick."

*