Chapter 53

I don't have any regrets when it comes to you. She had said these words, half sober.

Tell me this tomorrow morning. And nothing will be able to stop me. He had replied, dark eyes matching her intense gaze.

The morning came and went away weeks ago and she didn't tell him anything.

For a Ravenclaw, Elide could be a big idiot sometimes.

January this year seemed far more chilly, even though she was back into her old room, her walls, her blanket and even Fleetfoot (the random street dog Aelin befriended and named) hadn't forgotten her, in the weeks she had been kidnapped and stayed at the school afterwards. Then why did everything seem so foreign and out of touch?

She put her phone on charge and stretched. She was tired after yesterday. It was a big leap, but they were ready to risk it all now. She sat on her bed, lying down soon after. She needs to make up her mind about Lorcan. She wasn't the type of girl to keep a guy hanging just for her ego.

At some point, Elide had slipped under the warm blanket, thoughts filled with a muscular man whose eyes held warmth only for her, making her feel things she didn't think was possible for her.

Her eyes were heavy, the weight dragging her eyelashes down had barely been lifted when that clutter broke through her sleep. She dragged herself out of bed, wobbling on her mangled ankle throbbing way more than usual.

She went closer to the door, hand hovering over the knob when the sharp words sent a shiver down her sleep-hazed mind.

"Where is Aelin?"

Arobynn.

But it was due. Arobynn had ignored them for the favor of the police proceedings and dealing with closing businesses, and he would've thought they were busy finding Elide. It was a ticking clock really.

She took a deep breath and twisted the knob, cracking the door barely open and peeking out.

Lysandra was standing a few feet away from her door in the living room, blocking Arobynn's view of her room and Aedion was standing frozen in front of the television. It was on, the bright light of the screen paused at a weird point, some girl hanging from the chains. A piercing scream found way past her mouth when Elide realised 2 things. One, the video was never paused, the girl was enduring the pain, trying not to move or breathe so that she did not cry. And two, the girl was Aelin.

She must have made a sound because in that moment, all three of them turned to look at her, wide eyed. Arobynn recomposed himself, a smirk forming on his lips. "You-"

Again, none of them got a chance when the door was thrown open, a group of police officers with guns pointed at Arobynn with their outstretched hands flooded into the living room.

"Hands in the air, all of you."

Sheriff Westfall strolled into the room, commanding everyone's attention on him. "Arobynn Hamel, you are under arrest for plotting the kidnap and murder of Kaltain Rompier, kidnapping Elide Lochan and all your illegal smuggling rackets, street fighting, gambling, drug dealing and prostitution channels. You have the right to remain silent. Anything that you say can and will be held against you."

"Do you have a proof?" Arobynn drawled on, eyes sharp for his nonchalant tone. It was very less that threw Arobynn off guard.

"Perrington and Vernon are under our custody and have named every wrongdoing under your orders. All of them have confessed as witnesses as well." Sheriff waved a hand at Aedion, Lysandra and Elide.