Chapter 4

This chapter is dedicated to _vyane
Thanks for reading!

†††††

"Henrietta, I hope you understand that I am doing this for your own good." He cleared his throat, and his face reverted to wearing his aloof expression. "You are betrothed to the second prince. The official engagement may have not been announced, but I know you are well aware that the whole empire knows about this. You've already come of age, you are now a lady, and you must act like one."

I lowered my head, "I understand, father."

Henrietta and Alaric's engagement will be officially announced after the Emperor's birthday next month. This is a memorable event in the novel because it is what strengthens the affection between the main couple.

Next month is Alaric's 21st birthday. Although the celebration is not as grand as the Emperor's or the first prince's birthday, many nobles are still required to attend.

Of course, Adelia will also be staying in the capital until Alaric's birthday. The engagement will be announced without informing Alaric. Adelia, who was not aware that the person she was starting to grow affection for was already engaged, felt sad. Then she left the ball early, but Alaric went after her and assured her that he had no intention of marrying Henrietta. Because of this event, Adelia confirmed her feelings for Alaric and vice versa.

This engagement to the second prince is more of a death sentence. Because after this, Alaric treated Henrietta harshly whenever this little brat flocks over him. And this is where disaster began.

I only have a month to come up with a plan. Alaric is easy. It's the nobles that bother me.

"The resident physician conducted a check-up on you while you were still unconscious. She said you were fatigued and have been starving yourself." When the Marquis spoke again, I was cut off from my train of thoughts.

I smiled, "I have decided to change my diet. I believe it was the reason why I lost consciousness."

He nodded, "She also said there's something strange with your mana core. She could not pinpoint what it was, so she suggested you visit the temple."

I remembered.

This world has magic. Although it wasn't a high fantasy novel where mythical beasts and impossible things exist, its world setting still has magic.

Everyone in this world possesses a mana core equivalent to a person's soul. Only gifted people can see it, like the resident physician, the magic tower, and the people at the temple. Having mana core does not mean you can possess magic. Only those with the blue mana core can cultivate mana in the surrounding. Those with white mana core are ordinary people who do not have magic.

Oh, and the golden core. It is said to be bestowed by the Sun God himself on a particular group of people. This group of people is the royal family. They possess a core that can absorb an immense amount of mana. Its strength is unimaginable and can destroy an empire as big as Sunniva.

Their golden eyes and hair prove they possess this unique core.

The novel didn't talk much about magic since most characters possessed white cores.

"Stay in the capital for a month. It is near the temple, so after the Emperor's birth anniversary, take a visit and ask them to have a look at your core."

"Yes, father."

After our conversation, I was escorted by the head butler to the mansion's library. The Marquis was surprised when I brought it up. Henrietta was not the reading type and would flaunt her peacock feathers at parties and chase Alaric rather than fill her head with the knowledge to at least not get fooled by swindlers.