Chapter 10

"The noblest of all noble families."

It can be both a compliment and an insult. The Lovell family stood in the middle of it. Admired by the commoners, scorned by the aristocrats. Every noble family in the Sunnivan Empire has one or two filth they held secret. Who would do everything for honor? At most, one would do anything to maintain one's power. Having someone around whose presence alone is enough to make them soar higher is an eyesore.

It is easy to understand the mind of a greedy person.

Before, when the past rulers showered the Lovell family with favor, the envious aristocratic faction could only stand to the side. But when the late Emperor Ignacius started to hold the Lovell family in contempt, the aristocratic faction showed its fangs. They influenced the Emperor's decision leading to the supposed-to-be downfall of the Lovell Marquisate.

I looked at Alaric.

Apart from gaining support from the nobles, one must gain the trust of the common people. Commoners are a vital part of the empire. They make up 70% of the population. If they were to work as one, their power would amount to that of the nobles.

For example, through an uprising. The Lovell family, admired by the commoners, supporting one of the two princes would stir a commotion. The prince's reputation in the lower society would rise favorably.

If Alaric accepted my offer, all of his attention would be focused on the rest of the aristocratic faction who seemed to take the First Prince's side and let his military merits and the Marquis' influence deal with the commoners.

But of course, Alaric could still choose to take the bloody path. Everything goes in his favor anyway. I mean, he's the male lead.

"So, the heir of the Lovell family finally chose to speak up," Alaric spoke after a moment of silence. "Are you saying you would oppose your brother once he's taken the title?"

I chuckled before shaking my head. Who would settle for a half-assed plan?

"He won't take the title, your highness," I replied. "That is something I will not allow."

Alaric's gaze deepened, "Then, a lady like you would steal the inheritance from your brother?"

I squinted my eyes in lightly when he said that question. I see... So, Adelia still hasn't changed this mindset of the male lead.

"I know this proposal seems far-fetched, especially coming from a woman... Coming from me. I already know you would disagree with it—"

"That is why you chose to blackmail me," he cut me off.

I nodded. "And you admitted it. I guess the information must've been shocking. You weren't able to deny it."

His eyes narrowed, annoyance emerging in those beautiful pair of golden irises.

I cleared my throat and continued, "I want to prove to your highness what I am capable of. I want to prove to you and to everyone that a woman like me is worthy of a title given only to men."

He fixed his gaze on me. His eyes still held annoyance, but there was another emotion mixed in them.

Amusement? Doubt? Confusion? It was so faint, and it was hard to distinguish.

He pressed his lips, and after a while, he stood up.

"I still do not trust your words. However, I trust that you will break off the engagement." He glanced at the side of the lake where lights were slowly being lit. "It's getting dark. Let us discuss this matter again next time."

After saying those words, he made his way out of the pavilion. But before he could step outside, I called him. He stopped in his tracks, and he threw me a glance.