Chapter 2

This chapter is dedicated to NicoLiar
Thanks for reading!

‡‡‡‡‡

"Milady... You're awake..."

I immediately wiped my tears and turned to the person who walked in. She was wearing a black and white maid outfit that one would see in Victorian movies. 

She stared at me with wide eyes as if she's seen a ghost.

I stood up, but before I could utter a word, she dropped the blankets she was holding and immediately ran out of the room.

I blinked, befuddled. Why did she run away?

I looked at the mirror again to check if there was something on my face, but there was none. Other than the mirror reflecting a beautiful girl, there was nothing that could cause someone to be so scared they'd run away.

My nose was slightly red, and my eyes puffed from crying, but it didn't make the girl in the mirror look slightly ugly. Instead, it made her more alluring. As if someone you'd want to protect.

I sighed. This is too good to be true. I wanted to pinch myself to see if this was real or just a dream. But I'm afraid I would shatter this beautiful dream and see myself walking to the afterlife.

Maybe this is the afterlife.

I jumped in surprise when the door opened with a loud 'bang' then came hurried footsteps. 

I turned around and saw people standing near the door. There were six of them, four maids, including the girl who ran away a while ago, an old butler, and a man in his forties. 

They all looked at me in surprise, yet their eyes held different emotions. The three maids were looking at me with fear while the other kept her head low. The old butler recovered from his surprise and composed himself by clearing his throat, immediately expressing indifference. While the man in middle's gaze softened and relief washed over his face. 

He walked towards me, and I stood there rooted to the ground, unsure of what to do. I just stared at him as he slowly narrowed the gap between us. I hitched my breath when he suddenly gathered me in his embrace.

My heart thumped and my body stiffened. The man had a tall stature, my face was pressed against his chest, and I could hear the fast beating of his heart. His arms tightened around me as he heaved a sigh of relief.

My body relaxed when gentle hands started stroking my hair. The embrace was warm, and it felt so strange yet so comforting. It was something I never felt before.

"I'm glad you are fine," he whispered. "I'm glad..." 

The man's voice was deep and modulated, yet gentle and soothing. But just as I was about to give in to the man's embrace, he said, "My daughter..."

The man set me free from his embrace and a very dashing man entered my field of vision. A face that seemed like it rarely showed emotions held worry and concern.

This... This is the original's father?

"Are you hurting somewhere?" he asked. "Does it hurt anywhere? Tell me, Henrietta..."

The old butler announced, "Marquis Lovell, the physician is here."

"Let him in. Tell the kitchen to prepare food to nourish Henrietta's body."

The people inside the room immediately busied themselves, but I paid them no heed. I stayed at my spot, frozen.

This man is the father of the original owner of this body.