Chapter 6

Cain Endritt is a small merchant in Hutchrene. He owns a small, dilapidated antique shop that no one wants to visit.

Of course, he had to make it seem uninteresting to drive the ordinary people away. After all, his antique shop is an entry into the black market.

Only a few people, primarily nobles, know the actual appearance of his shop.

Anything can be bought and sold in the black market, even human lives, and Cain is the lord of under-the-table transactions. He sells just about anything, from forbidden items to pieces of information to slaves.

For a small baron in the countryside, he was intelligent and well-versed in the art of business. To him, money is everything. He accepts both good and bad money.

This is the reason why he agreed to help with the rebellion. The promises that he'll be rewarded with riches.

He lends his knowledge about explosives. He wasn't the one who discovered gunpowder, he got it from the eastern continent, but he knew how to make it work. He was the first person in Sunniva to create explosives and introduce gunnery.

But despite their preparations, the rebellion still failed. And Cain, being a primary contributor to the uprising, was beheaded in the end.

This time, though, Cain isn't the only one who knows about gunpowder.

I stared at my reflection in the water.

Now, I'm here.

His knowledge of gunpowder is nothing compared to what I know about modern warfare.

Cain is instrumental. He is a significant side character I must have right now. I need his influence on the black market, his resources, and how his mind works.

But there must be something more about him.

What the characters are when I read them in the novel are what the author wants the readers to see. But after living here for more than a week, I found out Henrietta is not only an obnoxious and spoiled young lady but also a conniving creature who likes to torture her servants. Marquis Lovell, who appeared strict and stern, had a soft side which he only showed when it was about his children.

The characters I knew in the novel are just the tip of an iceberg. There's more about them. And Cain, the possibilities of his traits and his knowledge are endless.

I must have him before that brother of mine gets him.

"Milady, would you like to soak longer in the bath?" Annie, who was standing behind me, asked.

I leaned on the bathtub before shaking my head. "The water's cold. Bring me my robe."

"Yes, milady."

We arrived at the capital last night. After days of traveling, my body felt like all my bones were about to break.

I was used to long and inconvenient travels due to my past job, but the body I am now isn't.

I was asleep when we entered the capital, and we were already at the Lovell mansion when I woke up.

The Lovell mansion in the capital was smaller than the one in Hutchrene. It's a 3-story mansion with a huge ballroom, a library, servant quarters, and a huge rose garden. Its architectural design was elegant and simple. And just like the one in Hutchrene, burgundy is the color that emphasizes everything.

Even here, Henrietta's room was flamboyant like the one she had in Hutchrene.

I was sick of seeing all the red and extravagant designs, so I requested to stay in the guestroom.