Chapter 19

Yes, I'm alive. Lol. It's been weeks since the last update. I apologize.

Warning, yes, another unedited chapter! Beware!

†††††

In this world, women, especially in high society, have no power to break off a marriage engagement. It's only the men who can cancel an engagement or file a divorce anytime they want. But it's different for Henrietta's case.

Henrietta and Alaric's engagement wasn't the result of a political agreement. It was an engagement agreed by the Emperor and Marquis Lovell out of friendship, and of course to satisfy the young Henrietta's whims. It wasn't binding. Both parties suffer no loss if ever the engagement is cancelled.

Also, Alaric was an unfavored prince and cannot disobey his father especially now that the emperor's attention is on him. Even if he wanted to break off the engagement, as long as he is not the crown prince, he has no power to do so. To have a tighter grip on the throne, he must get on the emperor's good side. He could still start an uprising with the secret troops he's raising but no matter how much Alaric loved splattering blood on the ground, he's still rational enough to walk on a less bloody path.

So when I offered to break off the engagement myself, I just helped lessen his burden. Now, he doesn't have to worry about marrying a girl he finds loathsome and can pursue the love of his life.

To cancel the engagement was the best way to lessen the probability of dying in Alaric's hand. But in a very conservative world where an unmarried or unengaged man and woman were to be seen alone together, rumors could arise. I don't plan on tarnishing the Lovell name any further but I definitely have no intention of pursuing this marriage. I just needed a reason to continue meeting Alaric so I asked father to postpone the wedding.

We would be working together and the whole empire knows of his hostility towards Henrietta. To suddenly meet after the engagement's cancellation, people would find it suspicious. Especially now that everyone's eyes are on Alaric.

A heart doesn't change easily after all.

I cleared my throat and desperately tried to appear composed despite Alaric's glares. I know I should've told him from the very beginning that I wanted to postpone the wedding but offering to cancel the engagement would grab his attention and would make him agree with my terms easily.

He got caught in my trap, is how I would say it.

I smiled at the emperor. “This subject is elated to be engaged with his highness, however, I wish to know the prince more, your majesty. I'm afraid that my immaturity in the past might cause others and myself unhappiness in the future.”

Surprise flashed in the emperor's golden eyes.  “You are rather different from the rumors.”

I stand corrected, the emperor does listen to the rumors. But Henrietta's bad reputation goes as far as the borders of the empire so it's not impossible for the emperor to not hear it.

“A year away from high society made me realize things that allowed me to change my ways, your majesty.”

The emperor let out a loud and hearty laugh. Even when laughing he's still intimidating. “Hendrich has always been lenient towards his children. But this time, I see that he finally chose to be strict.”

In the original course of the novel, the confinement in Hutchrene didn't change Henrietta one bit. It made her even worse since the marquis still spoiled her, preventing her from reflecting on her actions.

Even if Henrietta committed murder, the Marquis would still be lenient towards her. His leniency towards Henrietta's actions was the reason why this girl's attitude was crooked. I'm not saying the marquis is a bad parent, I just think he's just way too soft.