Chapter 9

"I will tell my father and the Emperor that I want to break off our engagement. But on one condition."

Alaric hated his engagement to Henrietta. The Lovell House is neutral and stands firmly on its conviction; to never enter the conflict for power. They would support whoever sat on the throne and oppose if there was an abuse of power. This is why many common people looked up to the Lovell Marquisate.

Marrying the daughter of the Lovell House may seem like a good idea. It may not be as powerful as the other ducal and Marquis families, but its influence on the common people, which makes up 70% of the empire's population, is no joke.

However, Alaric won't gain anything from it. As long as he's not the Emperor, he won't gain the family's support.

In addition, most of the noble faction despises an overly righteous family.To ascend the throne, he needs a strong House and a good relationship with other nobles. Someone equal to the First Prince's biggest supporter, the ducal family, Ambergard. Especially now that the First Prince is also engaged to another ducal family, the Coulson.

What would Alaric gain from a neutral family with a problematic young lady in this fight for power? Besides, Alaric has already found the person he wishes to spend the rest of his life with. He would prefer not to gain support through political marriage.

I stared at him, waiting for his reaction. His face gradually brightened, but he remained expressionless.

That's it. You think this offer is great, right?

He breathed relief, "What made you want to break off our parents' agreement?"

Wow, this guy never holds back at expressing his dislike. He's clearly emphasizing that this engagement is only verbal promises made by two old people to satisfy a spoiled young lady's wishes."

It's simple, your highness. I fell out of love for you," I answered.

He didn't seem moved. He just wore that "please proceed, don't trail off" expression. I didn't expect other reactions from him, so I continued."

I realized in these past two years that I didn't see you... that you are not that great. That you lack chivalry and you would show your disgust for a lady." ...was what I wanted to say.

I knew how much Alaric mistreated Henrietta, and despite this, Henrietta continued chasing after him. But experiencing firsthand Alaric's unpleasant attitude towards the original soul last night and today makes one feel offended.

No matter how much I wanted to slap him with the fact that not every girl is captivated by his cold and detached demeanor, I must restrain myself. My goal was to get on his good side.

"I realized in these past years that we've been separated that you are not... my type."

Still unaffected, he replied, "I see."

He picked up his sword from the table before standing. "Then, we shall go with what you wish. Is there anything else?"

I pinched my thigh. My mind was desperately trying to hold the two threads of sanity together. He is like a stone wall that's hard to penetrate. My face, which was all smiles a while ago, twitched. My smile was still there, but its genuineness was long gone. In my head, all I could think of was to disregard the plans I wrote in the past week and die again instead of dealing with this person.

Did he not hear what I said? Was he too delighted that he forgot something? Or did he purposely scratch out the last sentence?

I cleared my throat, "Your highness, you seem to have forgotten something. I said, under one condition."