Chapter 20

Unedited.

†††††

I escaped unscathed. Exaggerated, but that's how I would describe every meeting I had with Alaric.

After the dance, I immediately made my way to a balcony away from other people's eyes. I didn't wait for Alaric's reply and let him get swept away by a crowd of nobles who wishes to meet him.

Once outside, I was finally able to get some fresh air. I was never fond of being surrounded by lots of people, but I guess I have to get used to it since balls and parties play a huge part in every noble's life.

I leaned against the railings and stared at the breathtaking landscape of the palace garden. Basking under the moonlight, the place was enchanting. But no matter how hard I try to appreciate the place, my thoughts still tilt towards my future in this world.

We met twice, but Alaric never trusted me. Now, I'm back to square one.

It's been a long time since I've felt this way. The desperation to make someone put their trust in you, to make them believe you... to make them see your worth.

After I left my family, I did things my way without asking for recognition. I didn't put any thought into it. I just did things that were beneficial to me, things that would help me gain sustainability without asking my family for help. And along the way, I noticed how the people around me started to trust me on their own. It wasn't fulfilling, to be honest. I just thought it made my job easier.

But now, I am probably the most untrustworthy person in this novel. Even the Marquis doesn't believe that I won't cause another scene wherever I go so he sent the captain of the knights to watch over me.

It's difficult to have other people choose my side, even more so, Alaric.

But inside that dull four-walled room, a tiny light started to spark. This desperate need to prove my worth makes me feel alive... it makes me feel human.

A small smile appeared on my face. I placed a hand on my chest and felt the steady beating of my heart.

“It's not bad... there's warmth in there,” I whispered.

I failed with mine so I want to fix Henrietta's life. However distasteful she may be portrayed in the novel, I still see her as my benefactor. I get to live another life because of her.

I closed my eyes and felt the soft night breeze kissing my skin.

After all of these fiascos, I will enjoy everything this world has to offer.

I stayed on the balcony for a few more minutes before I decided to look for Sir Keith. I was already exhausted after that dance. I don't want to lose consciousness again and trouble Sir Keith and the Marquis.

But just as I was about to leave, Lady Ambergard arrived.

Compared to the previous ball, she dressed more extravagantly in a color that would certainly catch everyone's attention. Although her choice of clothing is much better than Henrietta's.

The crystal embellishments on her gown glimmered, reflecting the moonlight as she walked her way towards me.

She opened her fan and brought it near her face but she didn't bother hiding the mockery in her expression. She stopped a few steps away from me but just enough to corner me against the railings.

“I knew you were out of your mind, but I didn't know you also resorted to witchcraft,” she taunted while slowly fanning herself.

I sighed. I could already feel aches all over my body and my legs were already wobbly. I don't have time to deal with whatever Ambergard decides to throw at me.