Chapter 13

Sorry for the late update.

‡‡‡‡‡

On the outside, Cain Eandritt was just a weak baron and an incompetent merchant. But all of this was to draw the attention of the authority from the real him. 

In the Black Market, he goes by the name Lev. He has connections with everyone involved in under-the-table transactions and successfully evaded the authorities for years. Everyone who has been in the black market knows him.

And aside from this, he acquired a very important powder that would lead to the beginning of modern warfare. This world does not totally deviate from the laws of physics on earth. Apart from magic, other things were still the same. Even the components of the gunpowder that's in the possession of Cain. So it is possible to recreate the weapons in my past life.

Cain Eandritt is also a weaponsmith. He was able to make cannons and used them in his future rebellion with Henry and the First Prince. If I get to him first, I can ask him to make me a gun, the weapon I'm comfortable using. Acquiring such a weapon would give me a sense of security.

Plus...

I pinched my arms, flesh soft as cotton and smooth like porcelain.

I let out a sigh. Henrietta's body is weak and looks like it'll break easily. I tried doing basic defense moves that I learned when I joined the Army in my past life and it felt like my bones broke. This girl's been pampered ever since young that she doesn't even do little exercises to build up a bit of muscle. She doesn't need to lift a finger because the maids do everything for her.

Building up endurance takes time. Long-range weapons suit this body more. I thought of archery at first, but it also takes time to master. The gun is the most suitable weapon for me and it's possible to create one in this world.

"Why would you need to wield a sword when you have plenty of knights to protect you?"

I bit my lower lip when I remembered the Marquis' words.

Indeed. I now have plenty of knights at my disposal. But the problem is, I can't trust just anybody in this house... the servants, the knights, not even the Marquis. I still haven't met Henry. I don't know what kind of person he is, I only know him based on how he appeared in the novel. Who knows how much influence he has in this mansion. If he was able to plot a rebellion, he must be the cunning type. 

If I wanted to go against him, I have to avoid raising suspicion and be the obnoxious little sister he knows.

That is why I have to be careful if I want to form an alliance with Cain. It wasn't stated in the novel when Henry met Cain, they might've already met.

I tapped my finger on the couch's armrest. I was starting to get impatient waiting for my lunch to be brought inside my room. Giselle and two other maids were standing on the corner of the room, flinching whenever I make sudden noises.

I didn't bother hiding the annoyance that was slowly painting my face. It was almost noon when I woke up and my head was aching. I didn't bother dressing up and remained in my nightgown. My hair was still all over the place and didn't allow the maids to help me fix it.

I was literally in a bad mood and I couldn't remain composed.

The door opened. Annie and two kitchen maids entered the room while pushing the food trolley.

I crossed my arms across my chest. The gesture made the three of them hurry into the room and serve the plates filled with dishes I ordered them to make. The moment they finished serving they immediately stood beside Giselle and the other maids.