Chapter 14

Alaric?

I looked back to check if those men were still following me. When I noticed that they weren't trailing behind me anymore, I stopped in my tracks. Folding my body over, I rested my hands on my knees as I tried to catch my breath. Beads of sweat rolled down the golden strands of my messy hair, on my forehead, and at the tip of my nose. I wiped it off using the cuff of my sleeves.

The late spring heat is as agonizing as the summer heat. And I was wearing a dark, thick cloak and ran all the way on to the entrance of the 3rd district.

My legs and knees were tingling and were starting to go numb. Ever since I got into this world, I never did any hard labor so I do not know Henrietta's endurance level. And turns out it was this bad. Maybe because even simple tasks like dressing herself were done by the maids. This is the first time I felt this kind of exhaustion.

Once my breath steadied, I once again looked towards Alaric's direction. Even rubbing my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Unfortunately, he was still there, standing at the end of the alley, the early afternoon sunlight glorifying his existence. The soft spring breeze gently swayed the hems of his white cloak. Even in plain clothing, he still stood out. It felt like the dull surrounding in the slums was only made to emphasize his white-clad figure.

The mighty and scheming prince of Sunniva, the male lead blessed with the golden finger, and the protagonist halo, Alaric Soliel, is here in the slums.

I sighed. There's no mistaking it. Even underneath the hood of his cloak, those piercing gaze was undeniably his. I mean, after meeting him for the first time after arriving in this world, I was already familiar with the cold gazes he casually throws at me. As if he wanted to rip off my head the moment I made a mistake.

When I noticed that he wasn't planning to leave, I walked towards him. I was feeling a bit nervous because it felt like I was caught. This was a rather odd way of meeting each other again.

I reluctantly lowered my head and greeted him. “Greetings, Your Highness, son of the Empire. May you have Helios' blessing.”

But like a statue he didn't reply so I allowed myself to raise my head. With a smile on my face, I asked, “Why is a distinguished person such as yourself here in the slums?”

I desperately tried to remain calm and act like I didn't just get chased by four big men all the way here. But my heart started to beat fast again when I remembered the only reason why Alaric stepped into the slums.

To slaughter the guild. The very same guild that'll help me find Cain Eandritt, which will, in turn, play a vital role in my survival.

But why is he so early? He shouldn't step in here until he's become the emperor. The rebellion should happen first before he starts annihilating the Aquiline Guild. Did the novel omit this part? Maybe Alaric visited the slums before he became emperor. That's a logical answer but for what reason? Apart from the guild, there's nothing that poses as a threat to his ascension here.

“I should be asking you the same question, Lady Lovell.” I flinched when his cold and deep voice rang out my ears. “Why is a lady such as yourself doing in the slums?”

It felt like there's a hidden innuendo behind those words. As if he was asking why is the daughter of the Marquis who was spoiled rotten and obnoxious doing in a place where everything she hated gathered.

I continued smiling, “Ah, I have something important to do here, Your Highness. How about you?”

“I have something important to do here as well,” he answered effortlessly.