Chapter 15

Warning! Unedited!

‡‡‡‡

"What is this black powder?" Alaric asked the moment we stepped out of the tavern.

Upon hearing my request, amusement appeared in Levi's eyes. He didn't ask any further which was oddly suspicious. He just smiled and accepted the letter then assured me that he will deliver the letter. Inside that letter is an enticing proposal the money-driven Cain Eandritt won't be able to refuse.

"It's a dangerous powder from the East continent and it can create advanced weapons," I answered while fixing the strap of my satchel.

"How do you know of such a thing?"

I flinched. I averted my gaze and pretended to still be fixing my satchel even though it was already in a good condition. "A-ah... I've read them in a book I acquired from a shady shop somewhere. I was confined in Hutchrene for almost a year and life in the countryside is very dull and repetitive. Somehow, I gained interest in books."

My nervousness became even more evident when Alaric remained silent. Even without looking, I could feel his gaze on me. Today he's been eyeing me a lot as if he was assessing my every move and then judging whether he'd let me live or not.

"What is your real intention, Lady Lovell?" he asked, sighing in frustration. I raised my head and immediately hitched my breath when his eyes caught mine. "You came to the slums in disguise. The important matter you speak of was a confidential meeting with the guild yet you purposely allowed me to listen to your conversation with the branch head."

A faint glint of confusion could be seen in those cold eyes of his. My face reflected in those golden orbs as if he was having a hard time figuring out who is the person in front of him.

Somehow, the nervousness I felt in front of this ticking time bomb was quickly washed away.

"I cannot stop you even if I wanted to," I said before removing my gaze. I let out a sigh and took a few steps, distancing myself from him.

"After our meeting in the temple, your highness had me followed, right?" I asked without looking back at him. It was only a guess and one of the many consequences I've listed down after our small talk in the temple.

A person who can possibly disrupt his plan suddenly appeared in the form of his most hated person. Then out of nowhere proposing something very beneficial to him. It's only normal to assume that he would order someone to spy on me.

I kind of understand the confusion he's feeling right now. No matter how hard I tried to pretend that Henrietta didn't change and how I cover all those up with lies, Henrietta and I are far too different. Every move I make would still arouse suspicion.

"Please ease your worries, your highness. I have no intention to hide anything from you." I said with a hint of reassurance in my voice. "Lev is very useful if we get him on your side. His connection in the underground world is unfathomable. But don't worry, this plan won't tarnish your highness' reputation. If ever I get to him, he'll work under me. He won't be connected to you."

I let out a sigh. I faced him, placing my hands behind my back. "My real intention, I already told you at our last meeting. I want to become the Marchioness and inherit the title. And the only person who can help me with what I desire is you."

His gaze was fixated on me. He remained expressionless however there was a faint light in his eyes, emotions that I couldn't understand. I unconsciously tilted my head slightly to the side, trying to read him but he averted his gaze.