Old School Part 3

You knocked on the roof of the police car whilst Jake was looking at his phone.

"Oh, no. Brogan just sent over the quotes he's gonna run. I slammed Holt like fifty times" said Jake. "Listen. 'Holt would rather I wear a tie than solve a case', 'Holt cares more about catching clerical errors than catching bad guys', 'Holt is way too verticulous'? That's not even a word."

"What were you thinking?" you asked.

  "We were just hanging out, being old school. He wasn't supposed to quote me. I was off the record the whole time. Oh, wait ... " said Jake, remembering that last night he had told Brogan that he was going on record.

"You need to fix this, okay? Those quotes cannot run. It would be devastating for Holt. And the department" you said.

"I'll fix it. Brogan's a cool guy. We're friends now. I'll just talk to him, awesome dude to awesome dude" said Jake. "I should brush my teeth first, though, right?"

"Uh, yeah" you said.

-------------

"Hey, how'd it go with Brogan?" you asked as Jake walked into the precinct.

"Perfect. Except I punched him in the face and made everything a billion times worse said Jake.

"What?" you said.

"Yeah" said Jake.

--------------

You walked into the room behind the viewing glass that looked out into the interrogation room.

"Got Halbrook to cop to every charge. Nice work, L/n" said Holt.

"Thank you, sir. Jake figured out the pattern, though, so he should probably get credit for the collar. Have you seen him?" you said.

"I sent him home. He assaulted Jimmy Brogan" said Holt.

"Yeah. But that caveman kinda had it coming, don't you think?" you said. "Oh. He didn't tell you."

"Tell me what?" asked Holt.

"Never mind. If Jake didn't tell you, he must have had a reason. It's not my place" you said, trying to reassure Holt.

"I'm disappointed in you, L/n. I thought you and I were close" Holt said.

"I know you're trying to manipulate me ... But it won't work" you said.

"No overtime for a month" said Holt.

You sighed. "Fine. So Jake went to the Schvitz to talk to Brogan."

You explained how Brogan had been homophobic, causing Jake to punch him in the face.

"Thank you, L/n. That'll be all" said Holt.

You left the room, leaving Holt alone.

---------------

Jake walked up to his desk, where you were waiting for him.

"All right. Let's hear it" Jake said, dropping his bag on the floor.

"Well, it's even worse than I imagined" you said, clearing your throat. "'The new face of the NYPD is perfectly embodied by Brooklyn's own Jake Peralta' ..."

"That's not so bad" said Jake.

" ... 'Who cowers behind his desk all day like the true hair bag that he is'" you finished.

"There it is" said Jake.

"'The old guard would have eaten a guy like Peralta for breakfast and unloaded him by lunch'" you continued.

"Well, it's very colorful and hurtful" said Jake, folding his arms.

"You can ignore that garbage, L/n. Jimmy Brogan wouldn't know a legit cop if he punched him in the face" said Holt, as he stopped walking behind Jake's desk on his way back from the briefing room.

"Well, guess I'm done with this" said Jake, picking up The Squad from his desk and throwing it in the trash.

"Not good enough" you said, shaking your head.

A few minutes later, you and the rest of the squad were outside the precinct.

"Three, two, one ..." you said, and Jake pressed a button, blowing The Squad up, leaving pages floating down to the ground.

"Welcome to the party, pal!" yelled Jake at the book.

"God, you love that movie" Amy said.

"It's Die-Hard" said Jake.