Chapter 10

Ellie huddled over the phone in her office, her voice a hoarse whisper. Roland had been ranting and raving about the office because David couldn't be found. Mildred had advised her to try and find him, things were a bit unsettled and there would be some changes soon.

"You have to come in, David! He's really mad, he said if you wanted to keep working at Trevor Auction you'd better show up - pronto!"

"What changes did Mildred mean?"

"She never said and I didn't ask. Just come in, David, please. I'm afraid he might fire everyone!"

"I'll come in, El. I'll leave now."

Flo wasn't thrilled when Portia arrived at her door talking about trying to avoid her brother and the damage to David's apartment

Flo wasn't thrilled when Portia arrived at her door talking about trying to avoid her brother and the damage to David's apartment. Her episode with the frightening man that had visited, and the fact that he knew where to find her anytime was enough adventure for a lifetime for Flo.

"It's fine for you, Dee, you give them my phone number then you give them David's address and you aren't involved at all."

"That's not true, I faced that palooka that scared you when he came to David's."

"But he doesn't know where you are. I'm scared, Dee."

"I'm pretty sure his boss does." Portia told Flo about her father's client's connection to the gangland shooting.

"What are you going to do that doesn't include me."

"Flo, c'mon don't be like that, our suspicions were right. If we could just get–"

"I said without me, Dee."

Portia stood and slipped the beaded strap of her handbag over her shoulder.

"I was hoping you would be eager and maybe ask Calvin if we could borrow his car to get around."

"I'm eager to stay alive, Dee and what do we need a car for?"

We! Portia knew right then Flo would be on board. "To get things done faster."

"Things . . ."

"Call Calvin and ask him about the car, meanwhile I'm going to see if I can't get an address for this Hagen person."

Flo knew her friend wouldn't quit. Too many times she had followed Dee into situations that had left them both shaking yet thrilled. This was no different, she tried to tell herself as she called Calvin and coaxed him into lending his car.

"Got it!" Portia waved the slip of paper excitedly. "Did you get the car?"

"Yes but don't you think bracing this crime boss on his doorstep is going to have some Bruno bumping us off and dumping us in the river?"

"Flo! How dramatic. I'm not going to brace him, just dig out some info."

"Info for what?"