Chapter 3

Fortunately, due to the nature of the Trevor businesses and the fragility of some pieces, the building housing the company was equipped with Mr. Willis Carrier's new invention, the air conditioner, an extremely expensive and cumbersome addition, which artificially cooled the workplace.

David was thrilled being at work, enjoying the cooler air in spite of the thrumming noise of the bulky units . . . and the meeting. Roland Royce's office was dark and cool with closed blinds defending from a hostile that sun began a slow arc across the sky.

"Well, what's the assessment, yes or no, and I don't want your opinion."

"Rolly, my assessment is it can work but is extremely risky not to mention criminal. Hagen is a known criminal."

"What risky? I said I didn't want your opinion."

"The assessment is my opinion!"

"And who's Hagen?" Roland sounded miffed, ignoring David.

"Hagen is a mobster, a very dangerous mobster."

"I don't know any Hagen. I'm dealing with a Dennis Creighton. He's a very intelligent and co-operative gentleman."

"Rolly, he represents Hagen! Don't you ever read the paper?"

Forcing himself to be calm, David began again. "You are pretending to offer for sale items from the auction for large amounts of dirty money that these criminals post as phony deposits."

"They aren't phony, they do make a deposit."

"Yes, and then you blithely accept their sudden change of mind to purchase and write them a cheque from our bank in the amount of that deposit, less your percentage."

"Beautiful isn't it? They withdraw their deposit, we keep the item and nothing actually changes hands, except we move it through our bank, and we pocket an easy profit.

"Rolly, it's against the law!"

"We aren't breaking any laws. We can make deals under a hundred thousand dollars without reporting anything. Buyers are anonymous as are sellers - if we choose to say."

"But it's dirty money! Don't you care that it might be from drugs, human trafficking or prostitution?"

"What I care about, Ashby is making the Trevor companies successful and this is a great way to do just that."

"We are already successful but now Hagen will own you, Rolly."

"Fiddlesticks. He wouldn't be in any position to threaten me. The meeting is this afternoon with Mildred and Garber and I want you there to support my proposal - understood?"

 The meeting is this afternoon with Mildred and Garber and I want you there to support my proposal - understood?"