Chapter 14

"Nothing. He told you nothing?" Karl spat the words into the phone.

"I'm convinced he doesn't know. He said he gave it to Ashby to deposit and that's the last he saw it. I called the bank and they said he hadn't been in."

"I told you I want my sixty thousand dollars, Dennis. Where is this Ashby?"

"Uhm, disappeared at the moment." Dennis closed his eyes tight, waiting for the roar.

"Nobody disappears in my city unless I disappear them! Find him, Dennis and find him fast." Sanford's growl could be heard down the line.

"As soon as the boys call in I'll get them on it. They're dropping Royce off." Dennis cleared his throat. "Do you think you could leave this to me and stop sending men in on your own? I have enough of my own."

"I told you I wanted action!"

"Yes but you really aren't helping . . ."

"Get on your horse then! Find everybody and get me my sixty thousand back!"

His phone rang as soon as he hung up and he snatched it up angrily. His men had dropped Rolly off - literally - on the sidewalk in front of Trevor Auctions.

"I said his office, Reg, not on the street! Jesus, what do I pay you idiots for?"

"There were cops all over the place, boss."

"Never mind, I want you to find Ashby and the boss's squeeze, Kitty O'Halloran. She might know where her friend Emanuel and the rest of them are. They stay together sometimes in those St. Lukes apartments."

"All of them?"

"No, you idiot Kitty and Emanuel - Jesus! Just find them and when you do, call me, don't do anything just call me. Got it?"

The reply was sullen. Dennis sighed with restrained exasperation. "Where's Yegor?"

"I don't know and I don't wanna. The guy's jungle-brained."

"Fine. Just get on with finding the others. And call me."

Dennis rubbed his temples and thought, Yegor was usually reliable but since he got his hand caught in the elevator he kind of left the rails. The last thing he needed was a rogue button man running around looking for vengeance.

Yegor stood in Florence's living room examining everything as he did a slow pivot

Yegor stood in Florence's living room examining everything as he did a slow pivot. There was nothing anywhere else in the apartment to tell him where she was and he had already looked again through the mess at Ashby's place with the same luck.

He didn't want to go to the DeLysle's and stir up any more lawyer trouble unless he had to, and the other woman he remembered was the Emanuel dame from Trevor Galleries. He would find out where she lived.

 He would find out where she lived